• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Running/Jogging?

D

Daniel Dormer

Why does running exercises take longer to build your leg and feet muscles that in gym exercises?

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think that gym exercises are specific for certain parts of the body and therefore we are working only there and we see the results faster. As for running, we work the whole body, not a specific part, so we really don't see muscle development as fast as in the gym.

R

rz3300

Banned
Well they take longer because it is just not as intensive as the leg exercised that you would find yourself doing in the gym. That said, though, if you are going uphill a lot you will find that it does not take much to get your calf muscles in order. That is pretty tough though, and you have to be in much better shape, which also probably plays a big role in why the gym seems to produce better results.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That is correct. All in all we need to see exactly what is our goal because once we decided that we can start looking for the workout that suit us the better. Obviously that jogging is not aimed to build muscle, it's just a general exercise to improve our overall condition.

B

biege

It's because running and jogging targets muscles in the legs that are made for speed not the one made specifically for power--that's what I think because if you notice the legs of runners it's more slimmer than of the bulky muscles of the people working out at a gym. I could be wrong but that's my observation.

P

pwarbi

As others have already said, I see running and jogging more of a cardio vascular workout that helps the hole body rather than an exercise that will specifically target one are, namely the legs. Working out in the gym then you can work on specific muscles and it's that that builds up the strength and stamina in a particular part of the body. For me, all that running does is increase your overall fitness so you can work out harder and more often.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If we want to run and we see it as a good complement for bodybuilding we can run with weights on our legs and on our arms or hands, in that way we have the best of two worlds and it's not an easy workout! We can increase or decrease the weights we take with us according to the exercise we want or are capable to do.

R

rz3300

Banned
I am so excited to get out there and get back to my routine once the weather clears up here. I just got a new pair of headphones, and I have not had some in about two weeks now so I am itching to get out there and finally have to music to jog too.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know the feeling @rz3300, but for me the issue right now is not even the weather as I don't mind running with some rain, my problem is that I have a knee injury and it's taking forever to heal. Already two weeks now, going to the doctor today to get an idea when I will be able to train.

D

Daniel Dormer

Yeah, I haven't been able to do any form of running (except running to my lectures or exams which I'm doing now). Looking forward to the break so I can get back in the gym and on the field.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Gym work out is much more goal oriented and so directed to a specific muscle group. Jogging or running is an exercise for the whole body and generally aimed at loosing weight.

If you are aiming at calf muscle build up the jogging up a hill can help.

G

gospel

Allow me to make but both a very brief and yet substantially crucial point here. Running and jogging are not the same. Believe me, some people do not get this at all....

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What do you mean exactly by that @gospel?

When we are at the gym we are working specifically the legs, running/jogging is a more balanced exercise, it doesn't has as goal to build muscle.

G

goniva

Only certain muscles built during running activity, while on gym, you can choose which parts of your leg you want to build.

macedog24

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why does running exercises take longer to build your leg and feet muscles that in gym exercises?

Energy Pathways

To maximize recovery, runners need to keep their bodies in a muscle-building state (or, more scientifically, an anabolic state). Running causes the muscles to break down and form micro tears, which then need to be repaired in order to get stronger and faster. Anabolism is the metabolic pathway that repairs these muscle fibers and stimulates muscle growth.
The body needs energy for the anabolic process to occur. With an adequate supply of energy and nutrients, the body can quickly rebuild muscle and allow you to recover faster. However, when your body doesn’t have adequate fuel to sustain the anabolic process, it begins to break down muscle to supply the body with the energy it needs. This breakdown of muscle tissue is called catabolism.

Unfortunately, most runners fear that building muscle will “get them big”, so they avoid muscle-building nutrients like protein. This causes many runners to be in a perpetual state of catabolism, which hampers recovery and doesn’t maximize fitness gains.

Energy Pathways

To maximize recovery, runners need to keep their bodies in a muscle-building state (or, more scientifically, an anabolic state). Running causes the muscles to break down and form micro tears, which then need to be repaired in order to get stronger and faster. Anabolism is the metabolic pathway that repairs these muscle fibers and stimulates muscle growth.
The body needs energy for the anabolic process to occur. With an adequate supply of energy and nutrients, the body can quickly rebuild muscle and allow you to recover faster. However, when your body doesn’t have adequate fuel to sustain the anabolic process, it begins to break down muscle to supply the body with the energy it needs. This breakdown of muscle tissue is called catabolism.

Read more at http://running.competitor.com/2013/...from-bodybuilders_47941/2#KqK13c2Jp1jdPt0k.99

- - - Updated - - -

check out the link. hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think that gym exercises are specific for certain parts of the body and therefore we are working only there and we see the results faster. As for running, we work the whole body, not a specific part, so we really don't see muscle development as fast as in the gym.

I agree with what you said about specific parts. I visited a gym in the hotel where we stayed in our trip to Malaysia last month. It was a big gym with lots of equipment. I heard one trainer saying that if you want to build up your biceps then you should use “that” particular equipment. They have a treadmill too but I think it is used for building stamina and to build up the muscle in your leg, there is another equipment for that.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Those fortunate enough to have a personal trainer have the best guidance because according to our goals there are multiple exercises we can make, even if we are just talking about running.

R

rz3300

Banned
I am so excited now because this weekend we are supposed to be in the seventies for the weather, and this is pretty much unheard of. I am pretty cynical when it comes to the weather, so I am sure we will pay for this somehow and somewhere down the road, but for now I will enjoy this and get a good run in today.

naturalbodybuilder

naturalbodybuilder

Weather was great today here in NJ. I think we reached the 70's.

johnjohn

johnjohn

As much as I hate cardio jogged 5k today myself