• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Why Do Some People Lose Weight Faster Than Others?

Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail

Banned
I was wondering why some people lose weight faster than the others even if they do the same diet and work out. I've seen some people who shed more pounds than others and I think it has something to do with ones metabolism. However, there are also some who have fast metabolism yet they lose weight slower. So what are other factors to consider why this happens?

P

pwarbi

One of the reasons that some people will lose weight faster than others is simply because their metabolism works faster. Some people can gain weight a lot faster then others also, and it's the same reason I'm guessing. We are all built in different ways of course but I know how frustrating it can be myself but not because of losing weight, but the exact opposite, I am trying to put weight on and no matter how much I eat I still can't seem to gain the amount of weight that I want.

perfectionist

perfectionist

One of the reasons that some people will lose weight faster than others is simply because their metabolism works faster. Some people can gain weight a lot faster then others also, and it's the same reason I'm guessing. We are all built in different ways of course but I know how frustrating it can be myself but not because of losing weight, but the exact opposite, I am trying to put weight on and no matter how much I eat I still can't seem to gain the amount of weight that I want.

Exactly it all depends on your metabolism levels or the rate at which your body burns calories. So you should focus more on your exercise and do things that can burn your calories faster. It is seen that adding some weights to your workout session increases metabolism levels.

Also important is to have a good sound sleep at night every day. According to experts if you are stressed up your metabolism levels will go down and result in obesity. Stress activates a hormone called cortisol that slow down the process. So follow a balanced workout plan, be relaxed, entertained and always be health conscious about what you eat and drink; you can achieve your desired metabolism levels and weight.

P

ptahm22

One reason may be because fat distribution is not the same in human beings. The way fat is distributed in your body determines how fast you lose it. Genetics and cell or body structure cause us to respond differently to various types of exercises that's why it's advisable to try out different types of exercise.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Genetics and hormones play the major role in weight changes. Of course externally, factors like diet and exercises add on to this make up.

Others have diseases which make them put on or lose weight naturally like thyroid diseases and DM just to mention a few.

P

pwarbi

Sleep is extremely important like you say, and I think that not enough people actually take that into consideration when we are talking about losing (or gaining) weight and maintaining a healthy, well balanced diet. To become and stay healthy then obviously diet and exercise is important but so is rest and relaxation as well. If our bodies aren't getting enough rest then that will also be unhealthy, and no matter what you eat or drink, or how much you exercise your body will always be stressed out due to lack of sleep if you don't know how to relax and switch off.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's all about genetics and how fast our metabolism is. If we have ever heard about the HGH that really explains a lot about what happens inside our body.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When I was younger, some of my officemates are envioius of my metabolism. We eat together and I even eat a bigger volume than what they have on their plates. We do sports activities together too. But I remain trim and quite skinny actually while most of them were having a problem with the weighing scale. I think I was 30 at that time just like most of my office mates. My metabolism normalized when I was past 40 which made me gain weight naturally (even if I maintained the volume of food I eat).

naturalbodybuilder

naturalbodybuilder

Some people are just genetically blessed with being able to cut up or put on muscle.

R

remnant

Banned
It has to do with one's metabolic function. Some people have a slow
metabolism and add weight quickly even with low done intake. Others
the converse applies. Then again there is the issue of one's choice of
food and eating habits. For instance, if you eat before sleeping at
night, you are likely to gain weight fast as the body is at rest at
night.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
fitnessmara

fitnessmara

Some people lose weight faster because of the metabolism, hormones and health conditions. There is also a genetic factor, some people are basically built a little bit chunkier and there is no fix.
The faster metabolism will give you faster results, but a person will also be tired faster and in a case of the insufficient nutrients a body will start to replenish from its own resources.
The hormones can be a BIG factor, especially for the girls because our bodies are always in some sort of the tension.
Certain health conditions can cause a person not to sweat, for example, so the weight will go down slowly or accumulate a bigger percentage of a body fat, unlike a person who is healthy.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Genetics may affect the degree of weight loss/gain of a person, also exercise and diet. Age is also a factor since young people has alot faster metabolism than old people.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Genetics may affect the degree of weight loss/gain of a person, also exercise and diet. Age is also a factor since young people has alot faster metabolism than old people.

With the genes, it is a yes and no for me because my parents are both chubby but I was a skinny lad and I only gained weight when I reached 40. It is the metabolism that is the main factor for weight gain. My wife is also like me, skinny when young but now that she is past 50, she is overweight and nearing the obese level. And in this age, we have to scrimp on food. Eating less is the order of the day and more exercise is a must.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some people are just lucky and can eat whatever they want and lose weight, while others not really. Genetic heritage at it's best. :)

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

It probably has something to do with genetics. Both my parents are skinny, but I have a feeling that I will gain weight when I get married and as I became older.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Some people have faster metabolism than others, and it may be because of their occupation or food intake and eating preferences and habits. Nutrition and Genetics play an important role in both weight-loss and weight gain.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think the most important is the diet we have, regardless of the exercise we make, we need to be very careful about what we eat.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

With the genes, it is a yes and no for me because my parents are both chubby but I was a skinny lad and I only gained weight when I reached 40. It is the metabolism that is the main factor for weight gain. My wife is also like me, skinny when young but now that she is past 50, she is overwejight and nearing the obese level. And in this age, we have to scrimp on food. Eating less is the order of the day and more exercise is a must.

I know, I've been having the same problem, it seems that when she is creeping up on you, your metabolism suddenly slows down and it's getting harder and harder to keep fit and in good shape. Someone should really invent a drug to make older people's metabolic rate faster.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would say genes play a major role in losing weight, and so a one size fits all probably would not be the answer as far as losing weight. You may have to change the intensity or frequency of your workout, if you are not getting any results. If you are running a lot and not seeing any results, you may want to change your workout to some weight training. It may take awhile to find out what works for you with the trial and error method- and this would be the best way to find out what works best for your body type.