• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Flabby after stopping exercises

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is common to hear this notion that after a well gym workout for a period, sudden stopping of exercises makes the body/muscles go flabby. How correct is this understanding?

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That happens because we build a lot of muscle mass and if we stop exercising if becomes flabby. We need to keep working out or else we will lose everything we have worked for!

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Is there a way to prevent this by doing minimal tonning exercises? Or is it a must to continue heavy workout for lifelong?

D

Dopeboy

If you build your muscle you need to keep going or you will lose it.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah, we need to keep going, not so much as when we are building it, but we do need to work out a few times per week.

R

rz3300

Banned
Well this is something that is certainly expected, but I do think that there are some good ways to combat it. It is hard to stay active all the time and really working to aid the general workout, but little things like finding ways to move in your seat and move while doing other things can help.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I really don't think that just moving around will help us to maintain muscle, we need to do specific exercises, but surely that any other sport or a less sedentary life also help.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I really don't think that just moving around will help us to maintain muscle, we need to do specific exercises, but surely that any other sport or a less sedentary life also help.

I agree here. Just simple being active doesn't really help especially after heavy gym routine ans some sort of resistance exercises are needed. I was wondering if lifting weights at home suffices?

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That really depends on how much lifting you do, but to maintain I am expecting that we need to continue to do the same exercises, just less often and less time.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know of several guys who had developed cellulites when they quit work out abruptly. The advice was to quit gradually so the body can adjust. However, I don’t think a muscled guy should quit completely. Maybe even dumbbells will do for an exercise to at least maintain the muscles. By the way, I know of 1 guy who abruptly quit his work out and developed lung problems. So again, I’d say that after your body had endured the heavy weights in the gym, it is not a wise idea to quit.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How are cellulite related to stopping exercise? Is there a real link?

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
https://musclemecca.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3206074

This is my take on the cellulite. When the muscles are stopped from being worked on, it can go either way – develop atrophy or turn into cellulite. Atrophy is the shrinking of muscles from non-use. That means when you quit on the workout, the muscle will stop growning and later on shrink. For it to become a cellulite, you quit on the workout and you binge on the food. The nutrients you eat will turn into fats and victimize the muscle that will turn into fats. That’s how I perceive the birth of cellulite. Pardon me but there may be no scientific basis to it. My take is only based on my observation of people with cellulite.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
https://musclemecca.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3206074

This is my take on the cellulite. When the muscles are stopped from being worked on, it can go either way – develop atrophy or turn into cellulite. Atrophy is the shrinking of muscles from non-use. That means when you quit on the workout, the muscle will stop growning and later on shrink. For it to become a cellulite, you quit on the workout and you binge on the food. The nutrients you eat will turn into fats and victimize the muscle that will turn into fats. That’s how I perceive the birth of cellulite. Pardon me but there may be no scientific basis to it. My take is only based on my observation of people with cellulite.

Thank you for your interesting explanation. I found this article quite educative on the matter.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/149465.php

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You have to look at it this way.
There's nothing better for the body ~ Long Term ~ that some form of Resistance Training.
Do you need to go Heavy all the time ~ No ~ as that's how you get Burnt Out.

Rather than Stopping Completely.
Go into Training for Pump with Lighter Weights for longer reps.
This will not only give your Joints some rest, but will continue to maintain your Muscle.
Without further Fatigue.
Remember ~ there's Mental as well as Physical Fatigue ~ so change things up before you get burnt out.
You will avoid these Abrupt Stops in Training.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You could just take a couple of weeks off after building your muscles up, and you will not lose strength or muscle mass. If you take 3 weeks off, you will lose a bit of strength and muscle -but to maintain your strength and muscle mass, you should lift weights at least once a week.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, if you stop exercising but still takes good care of your diet and mind the kind of lifestyle you engage in, your body and muscles will remain firm for a long time before you would start feeling flabby. But once you overlook your diet, in the shortest possible time, your body will change immediately.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

You should at least eat the right things and exercise regularly for at least five days a week if you feel like you want to skip a day or two of your workout then at least try to take care of your nutrition because it's primarily important.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You should at least eat the right things and exercise regularly for at least five days a week if you feel like you want to skip a day or two of your workout then at least try to take care of your nutrition because it's primarily important.

You are well aware the we all have different body types and make up, so I would say that the nature of one's body would go a long way in determining the situation it's going to be in when the individual quits exercises.

There is an increased possibility of the body falling back into what it used to be before it passed through lots of workouts drills especially when the person in question does not mind what he or she eats daily.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Everybody thinks muscle turns to fat when you stop lifting weights- this is not possible because muscle cannot turn into fat. What really happens is muscle mass decreases from lack of overload and fat tissue increases. Also when you stop lifting weights you have to eat less calories or you will get fat.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

The better shape you are in, the less time it takes for your body to get back into shape. Your muscle memory remains for a long time after your muscles have faded. Your body remembers how it was able to run and lift, and you only have to remind it again and get those blood vessels, muscles, and lungs back into shape to make it happen again and maybe shred a few pounds along the process.