• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Weght classes

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It seems that weight classes in MMA are not the same as in boxing. The flyweight in UFC is 125 pounds which is already bantamweight in boxing. Another difference I noticed is there is no junior weight in MMA like junior flyweight division which is present in boxing. Does that mean that boxing is too sensitive with weight while in MMA weight does not matter much?

P

pwarbi

As far as the weight classes go, I wouldn't read to much into the differences to be honest, although I do think that the UFC have got the lower and upper limit restrictions set better than what they do in boxing. Personally I'd like to see the numerous boxing councils restructure the weight system as in recent years it's been increasingly muddled as to just what a fighter can fight at.

I'm not saying that they should go back to the beginning and just have the three weight division heavy, middle and light, but I do think that having too many weight classes like they do now isn't really necessary and they could look to the UFC as an example that they could follow.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The more classes exist, the biggest the competition, so considering sometimes many fights are decided in the details, it's important that the weight is not that different. As for differences between boxing and mma classes, I do wonder who decided like that and why.

P

pwarbi

Boxing as an actual sport as obviously been around a lot longer than MMA, so I would imagine that the governing body will have looked at the weight classes in boxing and revised, tweaked and then implemented the weight classes into MMA and that's why they are a lot more realistic. Now I think it's time for the boxing governing body to look at what MMA as done and similarly adjust their weight classes as well but I'm not sure that's going to happen any time soon.

As you say the more weight classes there is, then the more people can get involved and compete at a professional level, but at the same time I do think there needs to be a limit. When you watch a boxing card and the night starts off with a straw weight championship bout, there really isn't that much interest in the outcome, and so there surely is an argument for that weight class to be tagged on to the super featherweight category or another one of the lower weight divisions instead of it having it's own class as there's only about 20 boxers in the world that are light enough to compete in it.

ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd love to see an MMA class where any weight goes.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
From what I remember in boxing, 108 pounds up to 112 pounds is the category of a flyweight and lower than 108 is the light flyweight. Bantamweight follows at 120 pounds. The small differences in weights have created so many weight classes which results in many belts and championship fights. But in the UFC - this is the premier league of MMA fighters - the weight classes seem to have a difference of 15 pounds. That means in MMA, weight is not much of a factor unlike in boxing.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's true @Alexandoy. I think that each one has its own reasons and advantages. While many weight classes encourages fighters to improve themselves and progress forward MMA still gives you opportunity to fight your desired level without necessarily having the weight requirements.

P

pwarbi

It seems that many people would like to see a no weight restriction fight between all the fighters, but that's never going to happen. Imagine putting Manny up against somebody like Tyson. It might well have been a huge success when it comes to the box office, but as a fight it would have been one sided to say the least. Even in the underground, bare knuckle fight clubs they have certain restrictions in place, so there's no chance of seeing that kind of free for all in the professional ranks.