• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Do you think smoking is bad for an athlete?

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There was one great boxer names Flash Elorde who was the world junior lightweight champion for many years. When he retired from boxing, he took up smoking (I don't know the reason why) and after 10 years, he contracted lung cancer and died from it. One great athlete said that Elorde should have taken to drinking alcohol instead of smoking since the cigarette is a killer of the lungs. And since athletes abuse their lungs so there is that bad effect of smoking on it.

But generally, I have yet to hear of athletes saying smoking is bad for the athlete.

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There was one great boxer names Flash Elorde who was the world junior lightweight champion for many years. When he retired from boxing, he took up smoking (I don't know the reason why) and after 10 years, he contracted lung cancer and died from it. One great athlete said that Elorde should have taken to drinking alcohol instead of smoking since the cigarette is a killer of the lungs. And since athletes abuse their lungs so there is that bad effect of smoking on it.

But generally, I have yet to hear of athletes saying smoking is bad for the athlete.
Smoking is the worst thing for any athlete.

T

tpicks

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Smoking is known to be potentially harmful to the body. It affects the lungs terribly and other internal organs of the body. It's continuous consumption is bad for the health of the athletes and even the non athletes too.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Smoking in general is bad fir health. Not that the ciggarette will know whether you are an athlete or not but in this case the athlete was already most likely predisposed to developing lung cancer as in his genes.

Smoking was just a trigger.

T

tpicks

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I learnt the main danger in cigarettes is the nicotine in them. If that substance can be replaced or reduced significantly the dangers associated with smoking maybe reduced substantially I guessed.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I learnt the main danger in cigarettes is the nicotine in them. If that substance can be replaced or reduced significantly the dangers associated with smoking maybe reduced substantially I guessed.

I agree that the nicotine is the most harmful ingredient of cigarettes. Maybe that is the essence of the e-cigarettes. Based on some blurbs that I have seen, e-cigarettes have flavors in the liquid that fuels the e-cigarette and there is one blurb that says they have no nicotine in their concoctions that comes in vials. I have quit smoking for more than 10 years now but e-cigarettes did not cross my mind because I know that it is the nicotine that I wanted and without nicotine then the e-cigarette will not be the same as the traditional cigarettes. And as with the harm to bhe body, we are not sure if the e-cigarette is not harmful because it is not time-tested yet.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There is really no debate on how bad smoking is, even more if we are athletes. When we smoke we are intoxicating ourselves, there are not many worse things than that.

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When I was younger I use to smoke.
And I could feel it when I was doing Road Work, or running the track.

Yeah, definitely a Killer in all it's forms.
Have a friend who is a Competitive Bodybuilder, and He Chews.
That's the quickest way to Throat Cancer.

P

Pharmacom

Yep, it's very bad man

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Smoking is never good for anyone. Whether you work out or not you still have lungs that could be damaged by the smoke.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff