• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Exercises for men and women.

P

ptahm22

This might seem like a silly question but you can help me out. When I search for exercises to do on a daily basis, most weight lifting exercises are addressed to men while strength conditioning exercises like Yoga are addressed to women. Is there problem if I combine body building exercises and some strength conditioning exercises? Are there exercises that are gender specific?

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are exercises that work for both genders, but naturally there are some gender specific, because men and women do have different anatomy. The best example for this is seen in bikes for men and women.

R

rz3300

Banned
This just makes me think of the tried and true methods, and the simpler ones. I love to just go on walks with my lady, but not really runs because she is crazy fast somehow and it always makes me look foolish. Other than that, most everything else really.

G

goniva

A combination of both is good, it will give strength and flexibility. Weight exercise is for strength, yoga is for balance, and cardio includes HIIT is for endurance.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My suggestion for any-gender exercise is the push up and dumbbells. The push up is a time-tested exercise to build up the triceps aside from giving the body the energy it needs for the day. A woman can do 5 push ups as a start and gradually progress as the days pass. With dumbbells of 1 kilo, that can build up your biceps when done with more repetitions daily. Push ups and the dumbbell are safe exercises that cannot cause serious injuries unlike lifting heavy weights.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Both are fine depending on what your aims are. Yoga and stretching gives you flexibility while gym exercises give your muscles a definition.

P

Pharmacom

Every exercises are good with free weight (dumbbells, bars and other)

P

Pharmacom

Every exercises are good with free weight (dumbbells, bars and other)

R

remnant

Banned
I am an ardent walker and thats about the only form of exercise I
engage in. Walking is a form of medicine since its rhythmic and does
not stress the individual as you enjoy the country side. Whats more,
one does not easily get tired. This is because walking is a form of
exercise that does not involve strength but stamina. It also saves on
my bottom line as I don't have to say fare when I board a vehicle.

R

remnant

Banned
There is a fundamental disparity in terms of exercise between men and
women. Men have more muscle than fat compared to women who have more
fat than muscle. The result is that men possess strength but women are
more endowed with stamina. I have had chances to work with them in
repetitive exercises and found this to be true. While I won't advocate
separate exercises for both sewer, women should be more gradual in
weight lifting capacity development since they also possess smaller
frames in comparison to men generally.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
B

BigTex

This might seem like a silly question but you can help me out. When I search for exercises to do on a daily basis, most weight lifting exercises are addressed to men while strength conditioning exercises like Yoga are addressed to women. Is there problem if I combine body building exercises and some strength conditioning exercises? Are there exercises that are gender specific?

I actually teach a college level Kinesiology class that covers this area.

Common Myths

* Women can’t get strong FALSE
* Strength training causes women to become larger and heavier. FALSE
* Women should use different training methods than men. FALSE
* Women should avoid high intensity or high load training. FALSE
* With the right exercise, you can get rid of trouble spots FALSE
* If you don’t lose weight, there’s no point in exercising FALSE

So as far as Muscle Hypertrophy what is the difference?

* DEFINITION: An increase in muscle mass and cross sectional area.
* Average male has greater muscle cross sectional area and more muscle fibers.
* The average women’s muscles do not hypertrophy excessively.
* Encouraging and discouraging for women
* After a 10, 12, and 20 week study results showed no change or small changes in body circumferences in women.

So women can increase muscle mass and cross sectional area but it will not be excessive as in a male.

What about the hormonal responses to exercise?

* Testosterone both men and women have testosterone
* At rest men have 10 to 20 times more serum testosterone than women.
* This is why there are gender differences observed in BW and composition. It increases PRO synthesis, which induces hypertrophy.

Can women get stronger?

* Avg. woman’s maximal mean total body strength is 60% of the avg. man’s
* Avg. Upper body strength is 25-55% of man’s
* Lower body strength is 70-75% of man’s
* Muscle’s rate of force development is slower for the avg. woman than for the avg. man.
* Thus training for explosive strength is vital in order to enhance RFD and improve power performances.

So yes women can get strong, in fact they can get much stronger, but they will not be anywhere as strong as a man. They also will not be as good in activities that require explosive strength like jumping.

Do women have the same muscle fiber make up as men?

* Males muscle fibers from greatest area to smallest are Type IIA-I-IIB
* Women are I-IIA-IIB
* Explains strength and power output differences
* Women plateau earlier in training but see greater initial strength gains.

Women have more type I or aerobic fibers so this explains why they are not as muscular or strong as a man. However, women can do the same training protocols as a man and get very good results. There are no gender specific exercises that would help a women get better results. Women and men can train alike. Women will not get the same results and will make much slower gains.

Now, all of this changes when women do anabolic steroids.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would not forget about circuit training as well, when it comes to man and woman getting a good workout- this is when you do different exercises, going right into another one. These could include squat jumps, bench squats, and jogging- one right after the other. Circuit training will build muscle, and is good for cardio and will help you lose weight much faster.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Squats is a very good exercise for women in my opinion because it's always going to serve them well especially with helping them with their butt development. Squats helps to make butts firm and shaped well, so it's among the most engaged exercises women take part in.