• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?

P

ptahm22

My friend posted this on her Facebook page, I hope someone here will help her.
"I'm a 5'7 , 150lb 22 y/o female.

My main focus is glute building and losing belly fat. My problem is that my stomach sticks out more than does, so I'm in the process of growing them but I really don't want to add more belly fat

I've heard/read many conflicting information on this topic. Some people say you can't do both (one is ana/catabolic), some people say you can, if you time your meals right, and some people say you can, only if you're a beginner lifter. I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

I currently lift/glute exercises 3-4 times a week. I eat 1500 calories and rest days and 2100-2300 on workout days.

I eat pretty cleanly. Not a lot of added sugars. I eat 150g protein daily. Low carb/mod fat on restdays and mod/high carb and low fat on workout days.

What results do you suspect I get with my routine?"

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think the body starts to lose fat as it develops muscles. When I was into a slight training for muscle-building, my older brother said that the fat is converted into muscle when I lift weights that’s why my body weight does not change and sometimes you can become heavier as muscle builds up in the body because muscle is heavier than fats. Correct me if I’m wrong on this, I just remembered what my brother said.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am no expert on the diet part but I can speak logically. Any exercises cuts down fats and builds up muscles if done in the correct way.

Since she wants to enhance the gluteus then her workout is fine for that but remember that gluteus are also fat pads apart from the muscles. Sk initially they may go down as the fat burns out and later she can work out on the muscles in that area.

Abs work in the same way, the fat flab resolves with exercised and later muscle becomes enhanced. So she can't gain "FAT" on gluteus but only pump the muscles up.

If I were in her situation, I would just concentrate on reducing my belly first which automatically will make the bum appear more conspicous.

johnjohn

johnjohn

From everything I've read been told and personal experience. If your new to bodybuilding just pick one and go with it. It can be done but it's a very fine line between the two. And a hard one at that. I still struggle to this day with trying to do both.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's all about effort, but I think it's pretty much possible. I mean, the whole concept of working out if precisely to burn fat and build muscle, is something that happens naturally when we exercise.

naturalbodybuilder

naturalbodybuilder

It is possible but usually for the gifted or if you are regaining muscle.