• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Daily water intake

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A normal person who doesn't much exercise needs aboyt 3L of daily water requirement for optimal bodily processes.

What about a bodybuilder? Does this limit vary as they are working out more than the others also are therefore loosing more water and so are more prone to dehydration.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Three liters of water @Decentlady? I've always heard 1.5 liters, and let me tell you that most people don't drink that. Sure, a bodybuilder or anyone doing sports can certainly need 1.5 to 3 liters with no problems, but not the average guy I believe.

R

rz3300

Banned
This is one where it is certainly just better safe than sorry and I always just heir on the side of caution here. Those days when I do not get the right amount though, you can tell with the headaches I get.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Three liters of water @Decentlady? I've always heard 1.5 liters, and let me tell you that most people don't drink that. Sure, a bodybuilder or anyone doing sports can certainly need 1.5 to 3 liters with no problems, but not the average guy I believe.

"Now the Institute of Medicine sets general guidelines for total water intake. It recommends that women consume a total of 91 ounces (that's about 2.7 liters) per day – from all food and beverages combined. For men, it's about 125 ounces a day (or 3.7 liters)." http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/leigh-vinocur-md-facep/how-much-water-do-you-really-need

That's just one of the citations for referance value of daily water requirement.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
OK, but that's from all food and beverages combined, so that's something different of drinking 3 liters of water by itself. Most foods have loads of water, and we drink other things apart from water, so it's fairly easy to reach that value. Just think about fruit or vegetable, soup and so on, all of these have plenty of water.

"Now the Institute of Medicine sets general guidelines for total water intake. It recommends that women consume a total of 91 ounces (that's about 2.7 liters) per day – from all food and beverages combined. For men, it's about 125 ounces a day (or 3.7 liters)." http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/leigh-vinocur-md-facep/how-much-water-do-you-really-need

That's just one of the citations for referance value of daily water requirement.

naturalbodybuilder

naturalbodybuilder

I personally do half a gallon to a gallon a day.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have recently noticed that I have been drinking only about 5 glasses of water daily which includes juice and soda. I have been observing my water intake because I was experiencing back pains that may be related to kidney stones. I was wondering why my water intake is that low. My wife opined that I have no physical activities lately. Perhaps she is right because when I was playing basketball, I would be drinking 3 glasses of water in 1 hour of playing. That means more water is needed when you are in a workout.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
OK, but that's from all food and beverages combined, so that's something different of drinking 3 liters of water by itself. Most foods have loads of water, and we drink other things apart from water, so it's fairly easy to reach that value. Just think about fruit or vegetable, soup and so on, all of these have plenty of water.

You are right but most full time working people miss out on other food/drinks with higher water content unless of course it is a hot season. Therefore, banking on water for major part of hydration is also a good idea.

johnjohn

johnjohn

I try and get a gallon if I'm taking any orals.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah, no question about that. When I am at work I always have a 1.5 liters of water bottle next to my and I drink throughout the day, but it takes me at least a couple of days to finish it off. In the summer I drink a lot more obviously.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I try to get at least a Gallon a day.
But when the Summer comes, and I'm in the Heat, it can easily go over 1 1/2 Gallons.

Don't know if anyone is familiar with Dr. Michael Eades, who wrote the Protein Power Books, along with his wife, Mary Dan Eades M.D.

Someone asked him that question, and his answer was, "Drink till you Float".

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
I try to get at least a Gallon a day.
But when the Summer comes, and I'm in the Heat, it can easily go over 1 1/2 Gallons.

Don't know if anyone is familiar with Dr. Michael Eades, who wrote the Protein Power Books, along with his wife, Mary Dan Eades M.D.

Someone asked him that question, and his answer was, "Drink till you Float".
His answer sound sort of like a saying I used to hear in high school.. "Party till you puke".. lol

P

Pharmacom

I think 3 its good bro

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I think it depends on the weather/climate and activity. If your in a tropical country at summer and you're working out at the gym or just travelling at daytime then you tend to drink more than 12 glasses of water. My average during summer months is about 16 glasses a day if I'm travelling or working out at the gym, but if I'm idle at home then it's about 10-12 glasses a day. In colder weather like rainy season, I tend to drink between 8-10 glasses of water or liquid drinks per day this includes coffee, juices and sodas.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah, the climate and activity do influence a lot, so the warmer it is and more active we are, the more water we need to drink.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

I never really monitored how much water I take per day, but I drink a lot, never knew that it is somehow essential. What happens if you take too much? Will your kidneys be compromised? Well, from now on I'll count how many liters I consume since most of the time I use a 1-liter canister with me while working.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You should drink around 8 glasses of water, that is about a half of gallon of water a day, and even drinking a glass of water before you eat, makes you feel full and helps with even eating less. Dehydration is a big cause of kidney stones as well, so make sure you drink plenty of water.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I never really monitored how much water I take per day, but I drink a lot, never knew that it is somehow essential. What happens if you take too much? Will your kidneys be compromised? Well, from now on I'll count how many liters I consume since most of the time I use a 1-liter canister with me while working.

I don't think there is a negative effect on the body when you drink water excessively except that you go to the bathroom often. Our urologist said that water is a cleansing agent and it is better to drink more than the prescribed quantity. At least you are assured that you are not dehydrated at times especially when the weather is warm.

J

jpk0007

Water is certainly one of the most important component of our daily intake and it helps in keeping a person healthy. One has to drink adequate amount of water according to there lifestyle. If you neglect your daily intake of water then eventually it will have a negative impact on your body.

In the case of bodybuilders or even in the case of people who are very active and there work is outdoors all the time, the water intake has to be significantly more than people with a sedentary lifestyle. Bodybuilders consume a lot of artificial supplements and powders which require a greater amount of water intake to help in coping with the use of these products.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Only water intake can keep one's system sustained for a long time before eating food. I'm pretty sure that most people have taken part in omad diet in the past and it's all helped with taking lots of water and eating once in a day to control weight and calories consumed on daily basis.