• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

MMA fighters are older than boxers

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In boxing, it is noticeable that age matters a lot. A boxer in his 30s can be considered on the downhill. But in mixed martial arts, 30 is not old. That may be the reason why fighters from other disciplines are trying their luck in MMA. Just recently, wrestler CM Punk fought in UFC and he lost miserably to Mickey Gall but more on skills and not on age. James Toney also tried his luck in UFC but was submitted by Randy Couture in the first round. Nevertheless, aging fighters are welcome to fight in MMA leagues.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That must be a relief for aging players as age doesn't wait for anyone.

More refined skills may be required in MMA, a standard boxer may need to put in extra efforts to get himself upto the MMA level.

P

pwarbi

While it does seem to be true that the competitors in MMA can carry on being competitive till an older age, these days even in boxing there are a few fighters now that are starting to continue their careers into their late thirties and early forties. I'm not sure if they have looked at the way UFC do things and have decided they want to carry on because of that, or if people are just fitter now so can carry on longer anyway.

Another thing that could be an issue is the money. Why would a boxer that's earned millions of dollars over ten years even want to carry on, and think once you lose that will to compete then you have no place being in any ring, boxing OR MMA.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sure, good point there @pwarbi, if a boxer is filthy rich, he won't need to fight MMA, but if he is in need for money, he just might try is luck after his boxing career is over.

P

pwarbi

Sure, good point there @pwarbi, if a boxer is filthy rich, he won't need to fight MMA, but if he is in need for money, he just might try is luck after his boxing career is over.

All comes down to money again like a lot of things do in life. If you have spent your life boxing and earning millions, no mater how much you may like the sport, who in their right mind is going to want to get into the ring again at 40 year old plus, just to earn an extra million? I certainly wouldn't anyway. Not only are you taking an unnecessary risk, your also risking your reputation as well and to a lot of fighters that's even more important.

Who wants to be remembered as that old boxer that got his ass kicked just for the sake of earning a bit more money? Not exactly a legacy that you want to live with I wouldn't have thought.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah, we know they make millions, but they also spend a lot, so if they don't have a good head for business and saving, they might end up broke at the end of a glorious career, and then they will have to do whatever comes along.

P

pwarbi

I guess it is all relative at the end of the day, and if you are on millions of dollars a year then your expenses are going to be higher than a 'normal' person who makes a standard living. You would have thought though that these so called superstars would take note and learn from the mistakes that others have made, as it seems like every week we are hearing about another former star that has hit on hard times and had to go bankrupt.

If they do find themselves in the position where they have to try and make more money, I would have thought that sponsorship and endorsements would be a safer bet than stepping into a ring again though, and I'd rather write sell a book than risk getting injured at that age.