Your first visit?
Register

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation Alexandoy's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

What if you have hernia?

I am posting this thread because I used to have hernia when I was younger thatís why I did not continue lifting weights when my older brother had a barbell. Now that I am old, Iím still doing 30 to 40 push ups in the morning as part of my daily exercise in order to keep me fit. Thatís aside from the stretching and bending for the warmup. But recently, I was struck by hernia again so I decided to quit the push ups and just settle for the stretching and bending.

Now here is my question on the issue of hernia. Is it okay to use an athletic supporter and do the push ups again? When I wear the supporter, I feel normal and I even carry some heavy objects with no difficulty (although I only do that for testing the effect of the athletic supporter). What do you think, guys?

Similar Bodybuilding Threads:

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical, Competition
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Re: What if you have hernia?

It depends what hernia are you talking about. There are several kinds femoral, inguinal, hiatus etc

Generally speaking anything that applies pressure to the hernial area should be avoided despite the support. Eventually the muscle wall becomes weak and the hernia more obvious.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation Folk Artist's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Part of the rehab process is slowly learning how to use your ab muscles again - when the abs contract they squeeze the space that houses your abdominal cavity that houses your organs. This creates pressure which can re-aggravate your hernia - so you should start with exercises that help stabilize your spine, and not put so much pressure on the groin.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation Heatman's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

At the moment, I haven't been unlucky to have such hernia injury. Even though it's very easy to be operated on and taken care of as long as it's identified on time, it's still one hell of a nasty injury.

I think there was a time when I almost suffered it as a result of the hard manual labor I was into because I experienced a very sharp pain above my groin region. I took precautions immediately and it was stopped.

collapse Posting Permissions