• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

What if you have hernia?

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am posting this thread because I used to have hernia when I was younger that’s why I did not continue lifting weights when my older brother had a barbell. Now that I am old, I’m still doing 30 to 40 push ups in the morning as part of my daily exercise in order to keep me fit. That’s aside from the stretching and bending for the warmup. But recently, I was struck by hernia again so I decided to quit the push ups and just settle for the stretching and bending.

Now here is my question on the issue of hernia. Is it okay to use an athletic supporter and do the push ups again? When I wear the supporter, I feel normal and I even carry some heavy objects with no difficulty (although I only do that for testing the effect of the athletic supporter). What do you think, guys?

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It depends what hernia are you talking about. There are several kinds femoral, inguinal, hiatus etc

Generally speaking anything that applies pressure to the hernial area should be avoided despite the support. Eventually the muscle wall becomes weak and the hernia more obvious.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Part of the rehab process is slowly learning how to use your ab muscles again - when the abs contract they squeeze the space that houses your abdominal cavity that houses your organs. This creates pressure which can re-aggravate your hernia - so you should start with exercises that help stabilize your spine, and not put so much pressure on the groin.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
At the moment, I haven't been unlucky to have such hernia injury. Even though it's very easy to be operated on and taken care of as long as it's identified on time, it's still one hell of a nasty injury.

I think there was a time when I almost suffered it as a result of the hard manual labor I was into because I experienced a very sharp pain above my groin region. I took precautions immediately and it was stopped.

C

Concentrix

I think it is best to approach a doctor and ask if you can still do those stated exercises because executing that exercise then receiving pain from it is not good. It might increase the pressure within the abdomen which could stress the weak affected areas.

L

lokielovesbunny

Its better to take the precautionary advise by your doctor, as far as I know, morning walk is something that you can do, but lifting weight can create a problem for a person has hernia, as the pain is not at all tolerable. its serious health problem than only can be cured by operation or medicines work it it is minor only, otherwise operation is the the solution.

A

Athanas

People suffering from hernia should do low intensity -exercises, like lifting light weights.