• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Post illness exercises

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What if you fall ill enough not to be able to exercise for say a month? How do you go about getting into the exercise routine?

Do you pick up from where you left off or do you restart slowly and build up again? Which is the correct approach?

R

rz3300

Banned
Well you certainly do not want to do anything too strenuous, but I would say that there is something to the point of toughing it out and willing your way back to health. I do believe in that, to an extent though and I still play it safe most of the time.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well you certainly do not want to do anything too strenuous, but I would say that there is something to the point of toughing it out and willing your way back to health. I do believe in that, to an extent though and I still play it safe most of the time.

So like instead of going from square 1 you might want to say start at square 5 if you previously were at square 7? Just to challenge your body and see how much it can still support you. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It would largely depend on the kind of illness you had been. With serious illnesses like pneumonia or kidney issues, you would need the advice of your doctor. But if the illness is minor and not really life-threatening then I guess you can indulge in training again. However, it is like starting from scratch which means you do light exercises only. When lifting weights, starting in light dumbbells would make you avoid pulled muscles and tendons. And then you gradually increase the repetition and the weight.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It would largely depend on the kind of illness you had been. With serious illnesses like pneumonia or kidney issues, you would need the advice of your doctor. But if the illness is minor and not really life-threatening then I guess you can indulge in training again. However, it is like starting from scratch which means you do light exercises only. When lifting weights, starting in light dumbbells would make you avoid pulled muscles and tendons. And then you gradually increase the repetition and the weight.

I agree with you that in cases of major illnesses and major accidents too it would be not wise to jump to the gym without consulting your doctor first.

However, witg minor illnesses you will have to see what suits you the best. Starting from scratch may be discouraging for others.

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Speaking from Experience, I've come back from 3 Major Surgeries from Injuries.
So for those it was back to Square 1.

But a couple of other times when just being out for a Month or so, because of Severe Elbow Tendonitis, and a Small Bicep Tear.
Certain Exercises I was able to Jump back in at 60 to 70% of where I was.
And others, I took my time, as not to Reinjure the area.

So I would say, with either an Illness or Injury.
Listen to your Body, don't get Impatient and Push to hard, as this will be Counterproductive.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I agree with you that in cases of major illnesses and major accidents too it would be not wise to jump to the gym without consulting your doctor first.

However, witg minor illnesses you will have to see what suits you the best. Starting from scratch may be discouraging for others.

So true. Congratulations for the major comeback. It takes guts and efforts to start from square 1 after a surgery.

You must listen to your body and give it time to heal. I shall be embarking on the treadmil officially from today after months of resting my injured knee.