• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Extreme water retention during/post workout

F

fendertele

I go to the gym looking lean.. leave looking bloated and not just muscles worked my face looks fat and belly pregnant.

It will then remain for 2-3 days and then slowly lean out... Until I return to gym it's a never ending cycle.

Water weight can look worse than just some added fat as you blow up all over and lose all definition.

So as you can imagine this is extremely disheartening.

The process begins half way through a workout... I can literally see myself bloat up while I workout till all definition is non existent by time I leave.

I take no supps. Water eat sleep

Cheers for any feedback folks

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This sounds like a Cortisol Issue.
When you exercise vigorously, the body goes into a Stress State, this causes the Adrenal Glands to release the Stress Hormone Cortisol which will cause you to retain fluid.

Usually eliminating Surgery and Starchy Foods and eating foods lower on the Glycemic Index will help.
Including more Lean Protein like Chicken/Turkey/Fresh Fish/and Egg Whites will help Lower Cortisol Levels.
More Green Leafy Vegetables, and Citrus, like Oranges/Strawberries/Kiwi.
And taking a Vitamin C supplement will also Lower Cortisol.
There were several recent studies looking into the effect of Vitamin C on reducing Cortisol Levels.

And lastly, you have to stay well Hydrated.

Muscle mechanic

Muscle mechanic

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor
This sounds like a Cortisol Issue.
When you exercise vigorously, the body goes into a Stress State, this causes the Adrenal Glands to release the Stress Hormone Cortisol which will cause you to retain fluid.

Usually eliminating Surgery and Starchy Foods and eating foods lower on the Glycemic Index will help.
Including more Lean Protein like Chicken/Turkey/Fresh Fish/and Egg Whites will help Lower Cortisol Levels.
More Green Leafy Vegetables, and Citrus, like Oranges/Strawberries/Kiwi.
And taking a Vitamin C supplement will also Lower Cortisol.
There were several recent studies looking into the effect of Vitamin C on reducing Cortisol Levels.

And lastly, you have to stay well Hydrated.
Cortisol will not cause it to that point on its own from a work out.
Get potassium in.
Bananas are not a very good source either. U gotta eat 10 banana a day to get limit from just bananas.
Get a sports multi vitamin
Coconut water the PURE kind only NOT CONCENTRATE!
DRIED APRICOTS
Mangoes
Bananas too
Avacotoes
Fruits and vegetables
White beans
Sweet potatoes
Try this with increased water intake

GET ENOUGH POTASSIUM SODIUM IS NEVER AN ISSUE
DAILY INTAKE SHOULD BE AROUND 4000 GRAMS A DAY

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This sounds like a Cortisol Issue.When you exercise vigorously, the body goes into a Stress State, this causes the Adrenal Glands to release the Stress Hormone Cortisol which will cause you to retain fluid. Usually eliminating Surgery and Starchy Foods and eating foods lower on the Glycemic Index will help. Including more Lean Protein like Chicken/Turkey/Fresh Fish/and Egg Whites will help Lower Cortisol Levels.More Green Leafy Vegetables, and Citrus, like Oranges/Strawberries/Kiwi.And taking a Vitamin C supplement will also Lower Cortisol.There were several recent studies looking into the effect of Vitamin C on reducing Cortisol Levels.And lastly, you have to stay well Hydrated.
Cortisol will not cause it to that point on its own from a work out.Get potassium in.Bananas are not a very good source either. U gotta eat 10 banana a day to get limit from just bananas.Get a sports multi vitamin Coconut water the PURE kind only NOT CONCENTRATE!DRIED APRICOTS MangoesBananas tooAvacotoesFruits and vegetables White beansSweet potatoes Try this with increased water intakeGET ENOUGH POTASSIUM SODIUM IS NEVER AN ISSUEDAILY INTAKE SHOULD BE AROUND 4000 GRAMS A DAY
I must disagree with you.
Cortisol can indeed cause this issue.
Getting enough Potassium is always wise.Just remember if taking a Potassium Supplement, don't take over 99 Mg per day.
It's better to get your Potassium through your Diet.

Muscle mechanic

Muscle mechanic

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor
This sounds like a Cortisol Issue.When you exercise vigorously, the body goes into a Stress State, this causes the Adrenal Glands to release the Stress Hormone Cortisol which will cause you to retain fluid. Usually eliminating Surgery and Starchy Foods and eating foods lower on the Glycemic Index will help. Including more Lean Protein like Chicken/Turkey/Fresh Fish/and Egg Whites will help Lower Cortisol Levels.More Green Leafy Vegetables, and Citrus, like Oranges/Strawberries/Kiwi.And taking a Vitamin C supplement will also Lower Cortisol.There were several recent studies looking into the effect of Vitamin C on reducing Cortisol Levels.And lastly, you have to stay well Hydrated.
Cortisol will not cause it to that point on its own from a work out.Get potassium in.Bananas are not a very good source either. U gotta eat 10 banana a day to get limit from just bananas.Get a sports multi vitamin Coconut water the PURE kind only NOT CONCENTRATE!DRIED APRICOTS MangoesBananas tooAvacotoesFruits and vegetables White beansSweet potatoes Try this with increased water intakeGET ENOUGH POTASSIUM SODIUM IS NEVER AN ISSUEDAILY INTAKE SHOULD BE AROUND 4000 GRAMS A DAY
Getting enough Potassium is always wise.Just remember if taking a Potassium Supplement, don't take over 99 Mg per day.
I only mentioned food my friend. Never supplements. If u having cortisol to that point u have alot more problems then water retention. And if your health is that bad maybe u shouldn't workout, u mean stop it's obvious your body can't handle it if it's getting so stressed out that it's compensating with that much cortisol.
Water retention plays a bigger role than cortisol. It's a stimulation that causes aldosterone and thus your body will absorb sodium.

Muscle mechanic

Muscle mechanic

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor
Please re-read my post. Cortisol on its own. Cortisol may be inducing but it's not the culprit. Health nutrition and other things not to be address to fix the problem. If that was the case we would all get that after we worked out.
Are even after a car wreck and worried about anything that stressed us out.
Have a nice day.

Muscle mechanic

Muscle mechanic

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor
I just wanted to say that too much water retention from exercise from cortisol points to a much bigger problem than cortisol.
It could be heart problems it could be vascular problems it could be lots of things. And the OP only knows how bad it is.
We are supposed to exercise at several days per week advice of Dr's. If this would be case with water retention how can u do it again and again to be enough during a week and not pop!
The uptake of Salt in kidneys cause water retention from cortisol from aldosterone from testosterone aromatasing frolic estrogen high levels all hormones including cortisol.
If it's from another reason than there is something medically that needs to be addressed.
I get a pump when I workout and not in my face.
Anyway good luck with that.
And to the OP what u described seemed like something that is stopping u to continue
If not how do u workout more than 1 once per week?
There is something wrong!
Unless it's not a big deal but it sounds that it is. Good luck

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just wanted to say that too much water retention from exercise from cortisol points to a much bigger problem than cortisol.
It could be heart problems it could be vascular problems it could be lots of things. And the OP only knows how bad it is.
We are supposed to exercise at several days per week advice of Dr's. If this would be case with water retention how can u do it again and again to be enough during a week and not pop!
The uptake of Salt in kidneys cause water retention from cortisol from aldosterone from testosterone aromatasing frolic estrogen high levels all hormones including cortisol.
If it's from another reason than there is something medically that needs to be addressed.
And to the OP what u described seemed like something that is stopping u to continue

I do believe you are Correct ~ there's more going on here.

In my many years of being in the Gym, and speaking with many people.
I've Never heard of a situation this bad.

To the OP ~ I would go see a Doctor (Endocrinologist), and get some Bloodwork done.
Because this Honestly shouldn't be happening.
And if it's happening to the degree that you are saying.
Then you need a Professional to look into the matter.

Muscle mechanic

Muscle mechanic

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sponsor

I do believe you are Correct ~ there's more going on here.

In my many years of being in the Gym, and speaking with many people.
I've Never heard of a situation this bad.

To the OP ~ I would go see a Doctor (Endocrinologist), and get some Bloodwork done.
Because this Honestly shouldn't be happening.
And if it's happening to the degree that you are saying.
Then you need a Professional to look into the matter.
U know as well as I do we don't see it to know how extreme.
But it could mean fluids are leaking from vessels or possibly kidney trouble.
My wife was getting that and burning in her legs and water retention. Vascular cardiovascular dr said it was rutured valves in her legs causes fluid to leak?,?
She lost weight since having our son and started t3 and seems to be doing much better. Her family has thyroid problems and type 2 diabetes.
Just a note.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

rz3300

Banned
Water weight is something that has always kind of grinded my gears when it comes to hitting the right weight at the right time. I have never been good at taking it into account and it is more of a frustration than anything else.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pardon me but I’d say it is one scary condition. I think you have to consult a doctor, it can be the kidneys or the urinary bladder, I really cannot say but definitely you have a physical problem because water retention is not normal especially after a workout. I get a slightly bigger tummy when I quit workout and I see it as a normal effect. When I resume the workout, it takes only several days for my abs to lose that bulge. But during a workout when drink lots of water, my tummy does not bloat.

R

remnant

Banned
In my opinion, its not really necessary to resort to chemical
medication to ameliorate the issue of water retention. Some
authorities opine that taking a ford of salt or salty food or liquid
increases the rate of urination. I am of the view that medical
attention is needed as such conditions might be a pointer to
malfunctioning kidneys or electrolyte imbalance in the body.

Last edited:
Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I go to the gym looking lean.. leave looking bloated and not just muscles worked my face looks fat and belly pregnant.

It will then remain for 2-3 days and then slowly lean out... Until I return to gym it's a never ending cycle.

Water weight can look worse than just some added fat as you blow up all over and lose all definition.

So as you can imagine this is extremely disheartening.

The process begins half way through a workout... I can literally see myself bloat up while I workout till all definition is non existent by time I leave.

I take no supps. Water eat sleep

Cheers for any feedback folks

Whoa, I think you should strengthen your kidneys and liver and fast! Drink a lot of vitamin C's and E's as well as multivitamins.

I would specifically recommend drinking 6 cups of combined turmeric and ginger tea. It's best to cut up fresh ones and boil it in low temp for 2 minutes, add some honey and fresh lemon juice, do this for a week and you'll see the change. It worked for me and I'm still drinking 4 cups a day and I'm totally healed now.

F

fendertele

Hi everyone thanks for all the replies, i have read through them all and it's amazing to see all of you come to the same conclusion i have myself but according to my docs it's nothing to be concerned with.....

i never went into much detail in my initial post as i didn't want my medical history to sway the replies i got as i wanted to see if it could be caused by anything besides my condition but it would seem it is.

I was diagnosed with a macroprolactinoma when i was 19, and if i can remember right i was secondary hypogonadism, adrenal insufficient and a load of other things... and was put on cabergoline for the tumor and hydrocortisone for the under performing adrenals, ten years later i was taken off the hydrocortisone as my adrenals were producing on their own but continue to take the cabergoline as the tumor grows rapidly when off it.

i get blood tests and a synthacen test done every 6 months and the endo is pleased with my results and hasnt changed anything in years due to this... and whenever i bring up the water thing amongst other issues.. it always comes down to my results on paper.

anyways yes water weight is a big issue for me.... if i take a week off lifting i look leaner than the previous weeks when lifting, if i eat healthy foods i also tend to look like crap however when i eat junk food i recover better and again lean out easier.

I think i might have some sugar/salt imbalance i especially crave chocolate which i could eat all day everyday and never get sick of, and i also mentioned to the endo my gains are unreal for someone that doesn't use anything.... i have a few guys where i work out constantly asking what i take and are shocked when i tell them i don't.

I can also lift heavier and heavier as the session goes on.... my weakest lifts are always the first few and as my adrenaline or something kicks in i get stronger... ( like the hulk lol) and i have to tear myself away from the gym cause i could continue lifting easily for hours and hours.... despite hitting my max weight on each set...

hope some of this describes something that might point to the issue as my endo is neither concerned or interested beyond the scores on the paperwork.

cheeeers :wavey23:

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You could eat less salt, and this could reduce water retention, also increase magnesium intake - some good sources of magnesium include nuts, whole grains, dark chocolate and leafy green vegetables as well. Another reason could be that you need to eat more potassium rich foods as well, including bananas, avocados, and tomatoes as well - potassium may reduce water retention by increasing urine production and decreasing sodium in your body.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You could eat less salt, and this could reduce water retention, also increase magnesium intake - some good sources of magnesium include nuts, whole grains, dark chocolate and leafy green vegetables as well. Another reason could be that you need to eat more potassium rich foods as well, including bananas, avocados, and tomatoes as well - potassium may reduce water retention by increasing urine production and decreasing sodium in your body.

You are right with the salt. Too much of it will make your body retain more water and can lead to kidney problems. Drinking lots of water often can neutralize the water retention particularly when you are undergoing training.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Excess of salt consumption is one good way to reduce water retention in your body. The salt works very well like in osmosis, it helps to regulate the flow of water from one layer of lower concentration to the area of higher concentration.

But seriously, I don't think if you workout well enough and intensively, you wouldn't find it difficult to lose lots of water through sweating.