• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Running can abuse the joints

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
People engaged in running would later complain of joint pains particularly when they get older. I wonder why some friends who are into running couldn’t discern that running abuses the joints especially the knees and ankle. The body’s entire weight causes an impact when the feet land on the ground because in running, you simply float on air for a short moment. I used to love jogging when I was younger but when I learned of this bad effect on the joints, I quit running and jogging and I just do brisk walking instead.

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Running can be tough for a whole lot of reasons.
What type of surface you run on.
The Quality of your Running Shoes.
Your Stride ~ whether you have any Genetic Issues with your Hips, and the placement of your foot when it hits the ground.

I still know a few older Guys and Gals that run 5 and 10 K races.
Then I know some Younger Guys and Gals that had to stop running.

I was a Sprinter when I was young, and did lots of Road Work as part of my Training.
After some Lower Back Issues, caused by a Bad Car Accident.
I just can't take the pounding of continued running.
But I still will do some 40 Yard Wind-Sprints from time to time.

R

remnant

Banned
If you can control your weight, there will be less pressure on your joints when you run. It also depends on other factors like shoe selection, bone structure and running technique. The best approach is to start with walking then jogging before running. The more muscles you have, the greater the cushion against stress on the joints.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Running does abuse the joints, like most contact sports. If we do it for long years we are just wearing out our joints sooner than expected.

R

rz3300

Banned
I have always been in a weird place when it comes to running because of course it is good for you but I have always had terrible knees and it always does a number on me. Years of being a catcher I think is what did it, but it continues to haunt me.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The knees don't go back, once we wear them out. We need to know how our sports impacts our health on the long run.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The knees don't go back, once we wear them out. We need to know how our sports impacts our health on the long run.

That's what I'm afraid of because there are mornings that I wake up with a painful knee. And to think that my mother had a bad knee when she was 60. And even if she could still walk, the pain was evident in her pace and also on her face. One advice was to soak the knee in hot water before sleeping. I am using hot compress instead but it's not easy and sometimes I have no time for that. I just hope that my knees were not much abused when I was young.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Almost anything can wear out your joints, even not using them for a while, it gets stiff. There is nothing we can do about it, and it comes with age. My late father always complained about pain on his knees during cold weather.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I like to run or jog on soft surfaces still(I'm 58), and find park grass or dirt trails the best to run on-and I try to avoid the harder surfaces like asphalt or concrete. Also make sure to do some strength training for your back, abs and legs because the stronger these muscles are, the less of an impact on your joints, when you run.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I like to jog and one important factor in jogging effectively is that you must wear the correct shoes. Running shoes are the best in keeping your feet and joints healthy and safe.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I like to jog and one important factor in jogging effectively is that you must wear the correct shoes. Running shoes are the best in keeping your feet and joints healthy and safe.

I agree with the proper shoes for running. However age does matter when you reach 50 because the joints get rusty particularly when you lack vitamins. I know of so many who have a bad knee that they suspected they got from excessive running. I used to be a jogger because jogging for distances like 2 kilometers or more can build up the stamina. But when my mother started complaining of her bad knee, I was afraid that I could inherit that problem so I quit running.

acehealth001

acehealth001

Banned
Yup, even medical practioners agree that running is not really advisable because the impact it does to the body is sometimes too strong that it jolts our joints and if we are already in our 50s and up, chances are our bodies cannot absorb the impact and can mean some health issues. the best is still brisk walking. It's also good for maintaining a healthy blood pressure.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I agree with the proper shoes for running. However age does matter when you reach 50 because the joints get rusty particularly when you lack vitamins. I know of so many who have a bad knee that they suspected they got from excessive running. I used to be a jogger because jogging for distances like 2 kilometers or more can build up the stamina. But when my mother started complaining of her bad knee, I was afraid that I could inherit that problem so I quit running.

Running or Sprinting isn't really advisable unless you're physically fit to run. But jogging is, because it's easier on the joints and has a slower pace. Even I seldom run but I do jog a lot, it helps me to maintain a flat stomach and it straightens up my posture.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Running or Sprinting isn't really advisable unless you're physically fit to run. But jogging is, because it's easier on the joints and has a slower pace. Even I seldom run but I do jog a lot, it helps me to maintain a flat stomach and it straightens up my posture.[/QUOTE]

I used to do a lot of jogging when I was younger but lately I haven't thought about it anymore because I have an issue with a suspected hernia. Jogging might aggravate the problem and it is a scary thought when there is mention of surgery. I was advised to use an athletic supporter that I bought 3 of them. Now I cannot use the supporter for it caused an irritation to my groin.

C

Caguioa747

Banned
Sudden, acute injuries like hamstring pulls and torn Achilles tendons are, not surprisingly, more common when sprinting, but at the same time, many types of chronic injuries (shin splits, tibial or metatarsal stress fractures, a whole bunch of different knee injuries, etc) occur more commonly among long distance runners. Sprinters get chronic injuries, too, but usually not the same ones (the groin and the Achilles tendon are common problem areas).

G

GuestHu

Banned
Actually, it depends. Runners may acquire osteoarthritis when their cartilage on their knees rub together, which leads to pain stiffness and swelling. But to some people, running for them reduces the chance of getting arthritis because an exercise strengthens bone density. It pushes the inflammatory compounds called COMP (Cartilage Oligomeric Matrix Protein) out from the knees, thereby reducing cartilage damage and arthritis.

sweerie_banana

sweerie_banana

This is very informative. My mum suffers from arthritis. I always thought I would also succumb to it. Hence I try and run in the morning but I have never experienced any pain. I normally see her put ice on her knees when they are hurting. Can that help you? I love running the results are very effective Maybe after the pandemic period I will get a trainer and learn boxing.