• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Training apparatus & Free weight

P

Pharmacom

What do you prefer?
Training apparatus & Free weight
and why?

I prefer free weight coz it includes the work of muscle stabilizers

BigHulk

BigHulk

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
free weights.. not sure why but I always used to them.

P

Pharmacom

Arnold inspired me to work only with free weight

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I work predominantly with Free Weights.
But I also use some Cable Machines, and Hammer Strength.

If you work-out alone as I do most of the time.
Hammer Strength will allow you to Overload your Presses without fear of getting hurt.
So I have found the Combination of Equipment to be Optimum.

And Cable Machines have the Benefit of Working Angles that you just can't work with Free Weights.
Plus the Constant Tension is very beneficial for Hypertrophy.

R

rz3300

Banned
I think that it just depends on my mood and how involved I want to be. I think that the more that I go on though, the more that free weights seem to appeal to me, and I am not really sure if I know the reason.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I only go to the gym for a visit to my friend who works there and even if I am offered free training sessions, I decline because of my age. But with the guys and gals that are in the gym, free weight may be the name of the game but I see those using training apparatus are enjoying it more. My friend in the gym said that free weight is tedious and painful to the muscles while the training apparatus is designed for a gradual training.

P

Pharmacom

If u have Perfect technique u should not be afraid free weight ;)

Last edited:
H

heavyhitter

Honestly it completely depends on which muscle group were talking about. I think some respond better to free weight and some are easier to hit with machines and cables. And a lot of it comed down to each individual persons skeletal and muscular makeup. You have to find which mechanical positions are best for you

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I currently use free weights but I am ok with machines too. Free weights aree better in my opinion due to more muscles having to stablize. Just my 2 cents..

THE-REAPER

THE-REAPER

I currently use free weights but I am ok with machines too. Free weights aree better in my opinion due to more muscles having to stablize. Just my 2 cents..
I agree free weights is top for muscle building, but cable weights have a lot of good lifting movements in them also...I know they both have a place in my Training... Just wished my gym had higher than 140# dumbbells...

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
H

heavyhitter

I agree free weights is top for muscle building, but cable weights have a lot of good lifting movements in them also...I know they both have a place in my Training... Just wished my gym had higher than 140# dumbbells...

My gym has dumbells that go up to 210!!! I never see anyone us them, lol

ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
anything any time.. free weights, machine..dont care.

P

Pharmacom

thank you for your opinion my friends

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I find free weights more versatile than the machines, because they allow for more range of motion and variation as well, and nothing beats a set of dumbbells because you can work out at home or take them to the park as well, which is nice.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I actually make use of whatever I have available for my training sessions at any point in time. It's very good to train with some weight losing apperatus because they can be very helpful in making you achieve your goals very quickly unlike when you go in manual.

C

Concentrix

I prefer free weights because it activates more muscles than machines. But the training apparatus is also good for tired muscles which makes it safe and avoids injuries. Using free weights in my workout is the best in building my muscle and I just used the machines for accessory exercises.

B

bourehim

I prefer free weights, because I'm always on the move, and I used to work in construction, and every physical job imaginable, so it's kind of a second nature.

M

Mandrake

I love free weights. But i still use machines to do heavy workouts such as Lat pull down or Leg press. I use free weights for conditioning and to build balance and would use machines to do heavy lifting to make muscle gain.

A

Athanas

For total muscle toning, free weight is better.