• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Can running marathons ruin the feet?

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is not to discourage young marathon runners but there are lots of cases where marathon runners have damaged feet particularly in ankle and toes when they retire. I know of a veteran marathon runner who has difficulty walking now because the sole of his feet are damaged beyond repair. He said that it may have been due to the abuse that his feet had suffered when he was running.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Damage to the feet depends on many factors in my opinion. Running alone can't damGe the feet per se. It depends on the anatomy/structure of the feet (arch size, curve etc) , the correct footwear and the way in whcuh strides are taken.

There are hundreds of marathon runners but not all end up with considerable feet damage.

johnjohn

johnjohn

My wife enjoys running 5k runs. I jog and sprint in a few. I enjoy it even though I'm not a cardio guy. Don't know about the feet but the shin splints are murder on me

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The impact can certainly ruin the feet, but I believe that the knees are the most sensitive area, as they are under a lot of impact and effort.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Based on the comments, marathon can inflict damage maybe not exactly on the feet but it can be the shin, legs, ankle, sole and any other part of the lower limb. I remember my mother having a problem with her knee. She said that it may be to too much walking. Now that I am a senior, I sometimes feel that my knee (particularly the left knee) aches when I bend it. I used to run informal marathons when I was younger.

P

Pharmacom

Any sport can cause harm to health. Also action in life can cause harm =)

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lol true, among my circle of friends that do sports, we always comment our injuries, and say that sports are not healthy haha. :D Either cases, running definitely hurts the knees...

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Lol @to7update that will not stop the runners from running and the lifters from lifting.

However, wear and tear are all part of the process of getting fitter. I think moderation is the key to healthy way to indulge in sports but of course it can't be the same for all.

P

Pharmacom

all kind of sports not heathy)
lol true, among my circle of friends that do sports, we always comment our injuries, and say that sports are not healthy haha. :D Either cases, running definitely hurts the knees...

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff