• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Cramps

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What causes cramps? I sometimes wake up with a stiffening foot or leg that is caused by cramps. It is painful and sometimes I really shout for help. The muscles were hard as if frozen and massaging it really helps. But why do I experience cramps? Is it normal for my age (I am a senior) or is it due to excessive physical exertion? I experience cramps about twice or thrice in a month but I still cannot say what condition is causing it although my suspicion is the cold weather.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes. Cramps are caused by accumulation of lactic acid post vigorous exercise. They can also result due to lack of some minerals like potassium and magnesium, dehydration and muscle fatigue.

Warm up before exercising, drink plenty of water, stretch legs before sleeping, eat diet rich in Potassium and Magnesium.

One trick that helps me immediately is flexion or extension of foot when I get the most painful cramp. Either one movement relieves the cramp immediately while the other aggravates it!

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pretty much like you say @Decentlady, lactic acid can cause cramps and injuries, so nothing like warming up before exercising, and stretching when we finish, so that the effects are smaller. Supplements can also help fighting cramps.

Yes. Cramps are caused by accumulation of lactic acid post vigorous exercise. They can also result due to lack of some minerals like potassium and magnesium, dehydration and muscle fatigue.

Warm up before exercising, drink plenty of water, stretch legs before sleeping, eat diet rich in Potassium and Magnesium.

One trick that helps me immediately is flexion or extension of foot when I get the most painful cramp. Either one movement relieves the cramp immediately while the other aggravates it!

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Age ~ Deficiency in Vitamins ~ Prior Injuries ~ or Cold Weather.

When you get into your 60's ~ Pick 1 or all 4.

I'm also in my 60's, and notice the Cold Weather makes my Prior Injuries much Worse ~ especially when Sleeping.

A lot of People are Deficient in Magnesium, and it's responsible for Proper Muscle Contractions, along with 300 other Enzyme Systems that regulate Biochemical Reactions.

So along with Muscle and Nerve Functions, there's Glucose Control, Blood Pressure Regulation, and Protein Synthesis.

I have Personally found that taking a couple of Grams of Taurine along with Magnesium really helps with the Night Cramps.

The rest I try to get out of my Diet, but you could also take a Potassium Supplement, if you aren't getting it in your Diet.