• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

What's the correct order?

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Should food be taken before exercising or after exercise? According to my understanding, after eating food, it needs to get digested and ao a good amount of blood is in circulation around your intestine.

Therefore, exercising at that time is not recommended.

However, I read that many people eat before exercising.

What is the time frame that you use to space your meals and exercises?

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
I eat some protein & fats (eggs) like 1.5 hours before the workout, and immediately after I take my BCAA's and eat some carbs (oats, bananas, honey). I train in the morning btw.

macedog24

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Should food be taken before exercising or after exercise? According to my understanding, after eating food, it needs to get digested and ao a good amount of blood is in circulation around your intestine.

I do not eat directly before my workout. maybe a preworkout or drinking EAA's/BCAA's before or during my workout instead of just water. After my workout within the first 30 minutes I try and get in some protein/carbs.

P

Pharmacom

U must eat before train bro, coz Carbs its ur energy. Try to eat before 2 and half hours for train, it will be good

macedog24

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Also depends on what time it is.
If its when I first get up I take my supps with some type of drink or protein drink then off to the gym fasted.

D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So I see there is still confusion. What do gym master say and what are their reasons?

My thinking is if you want to loose weight you may exercise on virtually empty stomach because you want to burn the excess that you have (you may feel weak though).

If you want to build then carbs..exercise..proteins should be the order for obvious reasons unless you want me to spell it out.

Your opinions?

macedog24

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
U must eat before train bro, coz Carbs its ur energy. Try to eat before 2 and half hours for train, it will be good

Yes. agreed about eating a 2-3hrs before. I think that is great timing! I don't eat immediately before Working out. Never goes over well for me. Indigestion, sick at the stomach. So fourth. Also don't like the feel of a full stomach ,especially if cardio is involved!

P

Pharmacom

You just faint if you train on an empty stomach

R

rz3300

Banned
I feel as if this is something that will be and could be argued until everyone is blue in the face and there will never be any real agreement. I have heard it all and still have no idea, but I have found that personally I like eating shortly after.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My understanding with the digestive system is that it needs a rest period. I have issues with my digestive system that is why I am conscious. After eating a meal, you are not supposed to do heavy physical activities. For me, even lying in bed after eating is a no-no because my gastritis may act up. For a workout, the doctor said that I should give my digestive system 2 hours for respite before and after a workout. At least I am spared of indigestion and other abodminal issues in connection to my meal and workout.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
vera wu

vera wu

The key point is the time and what food to eat, it's better to have some carbs or protein like whole grain toast, chicken breast, fruits, digest for an hour before work out

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Whenever I'm going to the gym, I would eat normally 2 - 3 hours before doing my workout. When I get to the gym I would just drink a fruit shake with a couple of Fatburners 20-30 minutes before my workout and then I would proceed to my warm-up exercises and then my full workout. After working out, I would then rest in the gym while drinking lemon water and or natural fruit juices or shakes. I usually eat a hearty meal after about two hours after. Eating just before working out can sometimes create digestive problems, that's why I don't eat just before working out.

Pushtoday

Pushtoday

My opinion:
You're body needs nutrients around your training.
If you train fasted, immediately after you need to consume carbs (to replace glycogen used) and protein (to prevent catabolic effects) with little to no fats (you want the food to be absorbed quickly).
If you eat prior to training (1+ hour) it should be a lighter/smaller meal with protein, carbs and some fats. The protein and carbs will be the fuel and the fats will slow digestion providing a steady stream of nutrients throughout your session.
I personally believe the big meal prior to training is not optimal because your body is working too hard to digest all the food, and of course feeling bloated and uncomfortable is not a good feeling.
Again these are just my opinions.

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've come to look at this differently as I've gotten Older and my needs have changed.

When I was younger, I always ate a Pre-Workout Meal around 1 1/2 Hours before the Gym.
It was Slow Digesting Carbs (usually Oats), and 5 Jumbo Eggs.
Then I would have a Meal after my Workout (this was Pre Protein Powders, in the 70's).

These Days since I'm usually doing a Keto Diet.
I just simply have a Cup of Black Coffee with some MCT Oil and Kerrygold Irish Grass Fed Butter.
It gives me all the Energy and Focus I need to get through the Toughest of Workouts.
After my Workout ~ I'll have a Shake.
2 Scoops of Unflavored/Unsweetened 100% Whey Isolate, and 1 Scoop of a Whey Hydrolysate with about 20 Grams of Fast Carbs (maltodextrin).
Then about an Hour later, I'll have my Post Workout Meal, usually 8 Oz of Chicken Breast and some Greens...……………………. JP

macedog24

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My opinion:
You're body needs nutrients around your training.
If you train fasted, immediately after you need to consume carbs (to replace glycogen used) and protein (to prevent catabolic effects) with little to no fats (you want the food to be absorbed quickly).
If you eat prior to training (1+ hour) it should be a lighter/smaller meal with protein, carbs and some fats. The protein and carbs will be the fuel and the fats will slow digestion providing a steady stream of nutrients throughout your session.
I personally believe the big meal prior to training is not optimal because your body is working too hard to digest all the food, and of course feeling bloated and uncomfortable is not a good feeling.
Again these are just my opinions.

Awesome advice right here!!