• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Can skipping rope cause hernia?

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have seen a post in social media about a warning against skipping rope. The post claims that skipping rope can cause hernia particularly for the middle aged. I wonder if this is true because most athletes I know are using the rope for losing some weight. Skipping rope is one good way of sweating it out in a short period of time for 5 minutes of skipping rope is equivalent to jogging for 3 miles. And about the hernia, that is a good warning if ever that is true.

R

rz3300

Banned
I have not heard this one before, but just from the sounds of it I guess it makes sense. I would probably want to see a couple of verified sources and things like that before I go cancelling one of the better workout options out there, in my opinion.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, each person is different, but I don't think that for most people skipping rope causes hernia, I mean, it doesn't involve a big effort. It can happen though of course.

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hernia's are usually caused by a Muscle Weakness of the Abdominal Wall and then putting Strain on it.

So if you are Prone to a Hernia, then any type of Exertion could be the So-Called, "Straw that Broke the Camels Back".

Or in this case, caused your Hernia.

If your Abdominal Wall is weak, you could cause a Hernia by Straining Too Hard to go to the Bathroom.

P

Pharmacom

If you perform exercises to make the hernia dry, do gymnastics, etc. Then you can do a lot of things, including squats and deadlift

R

remnant

Banned
Well, it depends on the level of one's exposure to various exercises. Sports health professionals recommend that one exposes themselves gradually to more vigorous exercise regimes in order to tone the body. We used to skip in our childhood without major problems and that made the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Decentlady

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hernia's are usually caused by a Muscle Weakness of the Abdominal Wall and then putting Strain on it.

So if you are Prone to a Hernia, then any type of Exertion could be the So-Called, "Straw that Broke the Camels Back".

Or in this case, caused your Hernia.

If your Abdominal Wall is weak, you could cause a Hernia by Straining Too Hard to go to the Bathroom.

I agree with this post. If you have a weakness or gap in your muscles of abdominal wall, then any strain that increases abdominal pressure can lead to frank herniation.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The most common cause of hernias is being overweight and out of shape, because of strain and pressure on the abdominal muscles - watch working out with a stringent exercise routine, like skipping rope when you are out of shape and overweight at any age.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's possible depending on how high you are jumping up and your ground impact. A sudden pull would be capable of causing the hernia injury.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
C

Concentrix

A hernia is formed when an organ or fatty tissue squeezes through a weak spot in a surrounding muscle or connective tissue. It occurs when pressure from lifting heavy objects, diarrhea, constipation, obesity, smoking, or having poor nutrition pushes an organ or tissue through the opening or weak spot. So I do not think skipping rope will cause a hernia. I think it might not create a strong force to let a certain organ pop out.

Last edited:
B

bourehim

Skipping rop is an effective way to lose weight, but I can't do it any more, it gives me a headache each time a do it.

L

lokielovesbunny

I don't think so, that skipping rope has anything to do with hernia, seeing lot of people in their mid-age doing or have proper exercise routine including skipping rope as well, never heard anything like that, if the post is published by relevant source or by well-known name or organization, etc than it makes little sense to believe in, rest flying bees of rumors can be seen over Internet in every single day.

sweerie_banana

sweerie_banana

Yes. I don't think it can cause a hernia. I am not sure though. Do you have a gym instructor or buddy? In case an incident happens and you are alone what do you do? You should never work out by yourself. Just taking precautions. I don't See how jumping can cause a hernia. You should just make sure all the exercises you undertake are done correctly. Just make sure you stay away from the heavy weight lifting.

Though I read in an article that you should stay away from anything that causes pain or discomfort. Though you should follow the details of your health care provider.

A

Athanas

I think it all depends with one's past medical and surgical history. With no medical record concerning the same, I think it is safe to skip a rope as many times as possible.