• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Overweight boxer

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Marlon Tapales is presently the WBO champion in the bantamweight division which has a limit of 118 pounds. In the weigh-in last Saturday, Tapales had the scales at 118.8 pounds which made him overweight for his category. That caused him the title. He was stripped of the WBO Bantamweight title even before the fight because of that issue of being over weight. I wonder why some boxers had to experience that when it is already anticpated that they might be over the weight limit so why not lose weight as early as possible? It is heart-breaking for a champion to lose the title just by being over the weight limit. So if Tapales would win over Shohei Omori, the champion spot would be declared vacant while if Omori wins then he will be champion.

PS. As per the news report today, Tapales won by a knockout in the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] round. The WBO bantamweight division is declared vacant of a champion.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The fact that he lost the title for being overweight seems totally amateur, and he should have anticipated that and lost that extra weight. Now he is paying the price due to lack of professionalism.

P

pwarbi

This might sound a bit harsh, but for a professional boxer to go into a weigh in overweight is unforgivable in my opinion. There are times maybe when circumstances come up and you may be a pound or half a pound over. You are then given time to try and lose that excess weight and re do the weigh in an hour later but it really shouldn't happen and especially in this day and age.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree witht the comments that the weight limit is a given and not just anticipated so the fighter should be aware of that all the time. I had read an article in the sports page about the trip of Tapales to Osaka, Japan 2 weeks before the fight. Tapales was 125 pounds and the trainer said that his fighter is used to that situation, confident that the boxer can easily shed off the excess baggage. But the writer of the article commented that Osaka’s weather is cold unlike the hot weather of the Philippines where it is easier to lose weight. So maybe that was prophetic somehow that the boxer couldn’t shed off the excess pounds due to the cold weather. But in any case, being overweight for the fight is a lack of a sense of responsibility.

P

pwarbi

These days as well, with all the food nutritionists, trainers and support that a boxer will receive, there's even less of an excuse now to go into a fight over weight. Ricky Hatton was well known for ballooning in weight in between training camps but when the camp started and he had a fight o the horizon he always did whatever it took to make the weight. Sometimes he would gain 2 or 3 stone in between fights but knew how to shed the weight so it never proved a problem for him.

Being a boxer, one of the things you have to learn about is what your body can and can't do. That isn't just IN the ring but also out of it as well and if you can't lose the weight, then don't gain it in the first place to such an extent that you are going to be struggling when it comes to the weigh in. Afterwards and between the weigh in and the fight, you can gain as much as you want (within reason), so hitting that target weight should be a primary goal.