• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Possible long-term effects of anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS)

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I got this from md.com. While the article talks about possible damage to the heart from long-term CHRONIC USE steroids use it is my belief that these risks can be dealt with by having a healthy diet and not abusing. I am not doctor though so I am not giving medical advice. Just be careful with your usage!

The possible long-term effects of anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS) have been a question mark among bodybuilders since the drugs became more widely used in the 1980s. New research from Massachusetts General Hospital, published in the journal Circulation, indicates that long-term use of AAS could cause “impairments in heart function” and lead to coronary artery disease.

The new study, co-authored by Aaron Baggish, M.D., associate director of the cardiovascular performance program at Massachusetts General Hospital, found that long-term use of AAS may reduce the heart’s ability to pump blood throughout the body. Long-term AAS use also damages the heart’s ability to relax, and may cause atherosclerotic coronary artery disease.

Researchers studied 140 male weightlifters, 86 who used anabolic steroids and 54 non-users. Using two-dimensional ultrasound imaging, the researchers found that the left ventricle, the heart’s main pumping chamber, was significantly weaker during contraction (systolic function) in those taking anabolic steroids compared to the non-steroid users. The researchers also established a link between AAS use and coronary artery disease, finding “strong associations” between long-term, illicit AAS use and the amount of plaque buildup in the coronary arteries. Baggish said that clinicians should consider possible illicit anabolic steroid use when treating men with premature coronary artery disease.

“Compared to non-users, anabolic steroid users displayed both higher systolic and diastolic blood pressure as well as a higher prevalence of levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol in their blood,” Baggish said. (Circulation 2017;135:1991-2002; originally published May 22, 2017)

Last edited:
CRobin

CRobin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Would these be stats for men on super physiological dosed or even trt?

R

remnant

Banned
Research on the deleterious long term use of steroids is at a preliminary stage and management of withdrawal effects is the major area doctors concentrate on. They use supportive therapy especially in patients with suicidal thoughts and administer bothdepressants. I am not being overly pessimistic but my humble opinion is that steroids should be taken in cycles, use for a certain period followed by a healthy break to prevent long term cumulative effects.

R

remnant

Banned
A paper presented to the American Society of Nephrologists indicated that 9 out of 10 long term users of steroids developed kidney disease and protein leakager were found in urine. Kidney damage can be attributed to direct toxicity or the resultant overwork of the kidneys due to pressure on the process of filtration due to the increased muscle mass.

R

remnant

Banned
It follows that long term use results in long term deleterious effects effects notably cancer. I won't delve into details but research is ongoing. The best strategy is to use these steroids periodically so that effects don't accumulate anyhow

R

rz3300

Banned
Research is ongoing is something that I expect to hear for quite some time now, and for the most part I am okay with that and understand it. After a while though I think people get a little anxious.

jolter604

jolter604

Tren lube gives girls ass mass
Sponsor
Well lets go out massive instead of turning 80 and hitting 135 with bitch tits hahahaha
This is a good article but i would not worry that much if the proper time off and dosing is reasonable MG. The stuff that america sells us is probably worse. Then alcohol ,ciggs and other drugs like weed or even muscle relaxers. I would think aas users having cleaner diets would have a better chance then the people walking around with stick arms and pot bellies. I have this conversation with the wife and friends wife's daily.

ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just gotta be careful like with anything else.

crazed

crazed

I'm sure we will see lots of AAS related deaths in the next 10 years. The abusers will be dropping like flies. "yolo" seems to be the new cool thing

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

One thing I hate about using steroids for a long time is it causes erectile dysfunction, fertility issues and it damaged my kidneys in the 90's. That's why I stopped using them. It took a year before I recuperated.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff