• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Sudden weight loss and gain of fighters

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was surprised to read in one news article that unlike in boxing when 2 pounds overweight a week before the weigh in is already an issue, some mixed martial arts fighters would lose 10 pounds one week before the weigh-in and gain back that 10 pounds after the weigh in. That is why some fighters look much bigger than their opponents simply because they are really overweight. And the drawback is in regaining back their strength. And that is also the reason why some fighters in the UFC easily lose steam after the first round.

PS. This is what Jeff Horn did. He was 4 kilos overweight a few days before the weigh-in. He drastically reduced for the weigh-in and afterwards regained the weight that is why he looked much bigger than Manny Pacquiao because he is actually bigger in weight.

P

Pharmacom

looks like a cheater

R

rz3300

Banned
I am not a medical professional or anything but I would have to think that this puts a big strain on someones overall health. That said, though, I am sure that medicine has advanced to a good point to be able to deal with those issues but I am not really too sure.

R

remnant

Banned
I have seen such phenomena where individuals gain or loose weight in
short time spans. Its not necessarily a medical issue. For instance,
when one fasts, the body metabolism is at a low ebb and on resumption
of feeding, the body processes the food slowly storing most of it as
fat. I think there are other causes, is diabetes included here?

Last edited: