• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Muscle atrophy

R

remnant

Banned
Maintaining healthy muscles is hard work. Though one should have
periods of inactivity to rest and regenerate worn out tissues,
sometimes events in our lives like pregnancy, ageing and sickness
result in long periods of inactivity when muscles lord their tone or
even atrophy. Can it be avoided?

fitnessmara

fitnessmara

The pregnancy is not any sort of inactivity and can't be equalized with the sickness.
Nobody is absolutely tiny and fit while pregnant but I saw some cases that defy logic.
As of the illnesses, there is no help.
An old age brings completely another set of problems and demands, so it requires an exact approach.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Another thing that can cause muscle atrophy is idleness or simply not doing anything. If a person just keeps on sleeping or lying down then muscle atrophy would start. To avoid it one must exercise or just do something physical regularly.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah, these days people ride the car and sit in the office or the couch most of the time, and this sedentary life style definitely causes muscle atrophy.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The muscle waisting away is called muscle atrophy, and the main reason for this is lack of physical activity. This can be caused by disease or injury as well. Astronauts can experience muscle atrophy also, when exposed to a few days of weightlessness.

Last edited:
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Muscle atrophy isn't something nice because it's most likely to affect your general body structure, health and fitness. It's so sad that people suffer from such health problems as a result of injuries sustained while training to be fit. But one thing to try and do is not to push one's self too hard in order to avoid getting injured.

G

GEARDEPOT

I have a pinched nerve in my neck that cause my left arm to tingle and go numb regularly. It is has been an issue for several months now. I've tried acupuncture, massage, cortisone injections...with no relief. I'm scheduled for an epidural next week. It is impossible to train efficiently, because I cannot "feel" the muscle in the left arm. Needless to say, the arm has atrophied considerably. Hopefully he epidural will work and allow me to train hard again!
GD

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hamstring was the latest muscle injury that I had recently while working out at the gym. I had similar experiences in the past and I know very well that it's kind of partly my fault whenever I suffer hamstring muscle injury. The pain with which hamstring injuries comes with is out of this word to the extent of my wondering why such injuries existed in the first place.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
One good example of muscle atrophy is when you see a stroke victim with paralyzed leg or arm. The paralyzed limb would lose the muscles in 3 months time due to non-activity unless there is the regular therapy. But for pregnancy I don't think it can be considered atrophy when you temporarily quit the gym because you can still move your limbs so the muscles will be thinner but not atrophied.

G

GuestHu

Banned
Muscle atrophy occurs when the muscle is not used for an extended period of time due to lack of physical activity, aging, injuries or illnesses that affect movement. Astronauts also experience this event because they are working in a low-gravity environment. So, creative engineers created an exercising machine for them so they can regularly exercise in space and avoid muscle atrophy. But when muscle wastes away, do not worry it is not the end. Muscle cells can return to its normal strength through proper diet, exercise or physical therapy.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Muscle atrophy occurs when the muscle is not used for an extended period of time due to lack of physical activity, aging, injuries or illnesses that affect movement. Astronauts also experience this event because they are working in a low-gravity environment. So, creative engineers created an exercising machine for them so they can regularly exercise in space and avoid muscle atrophy. But when muscle wastes away, do not worry it is not the end. Muscle cells can return to its normal strength through proper diet, exercise or physical therapy.

Old age can be a very influential cause of someone experiencing muscle atrophy because some people in their old age find it very difficult to get into active workouts and exercise of the muscles. I'm actually making use of my resident neighbors as a case study, there are so many old people living within my neighborhood who I'm very concerned about how they live their lives without trying workout and help train their muscles, definitely they will undergo muscle atrophy from time to time. Also those people who have less time to workout as a result of their work suffers such too.

Bravosi

Bravosi

Banned
The pregnancy is not any sort of inactivity and can't be equalized with the sickness.
Nobody is absolutely tiny and fit while pregnant but I saw some cases that defy logic.
As of the illnesses, there is no help.
An old age brings completely another set of problems and demands, so it requires an exact approach.
Sorry, but that's egoism to do workout during being pregnant.