• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Post workout nutrition

R

remnant

Banned
I have seen someone stating milk is good as part of the post workout
nutrition. When you look at its composition, there is some credibility
in it but I think sweetened molasses are better as they have a host of
vitamins and minerals to boot. What ideas do you entertain with regard
to this?

macedog24

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is a topic that will get different opinions for sure.

Some people will say you should get in macros right after your workout. Others will say it is not necessary as long as your consuming the set amount of daily calories/nutrients you need to hit each day...

While i agree to an extent, i believe there are Windows of timing to better utilize our nutrients we are consuming.

Personally, i believe right after a workout is one of them. You just depleted your nutrients and glycogen stores. Some of your muscle proteins have been broken down.
So naturally replenishing them is key to help rebuild your muscle protein and replenish your glycogen. This will help stimulate new muscle growth.
Consuming protein(amino acids) will help build and repair these proteins and new muscle tissue.
Your glycogen stores are used as fuel and depleted during exercise and strenuous activity, consuming carbs withiminutes after your workout will help replenish them .
Now consuming both protein and carbs together will maximize protein and glycogen synthesis.

Big Beef

Big Beef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I do not drink milk as part of my post workout anymore. I used to, but it seems to screw my appetite up to much. I am a big fan of milk personally, just not post workout.

Anymore, I will just have some Powerade, juice, soda, etc before or with my post workout protein shake.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

My post workout nutrition include protein meats mostly beef, pork and chicken dishes, stewed or grilled. Also glasses of milk or chocolate milk or fresh juices straight from the juicer.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
After a heavy workout, it is either fruit juice or soda for me. And the food can be hamburger and fries for a snack or for a heavy meal can be steak with mashed potato. I have never entertained the idea of drinking milk to replenish the lost energy in the workout. Milk is best in the morning only to strengthen the bones and teeth. I don't think milk has something to do with the energy.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't think milk is a good food for any part of the day or physical activity. It's hard to digest and can cause problems because of that.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Milk is known to be an effective rehydration aid, better than sports drinks following your workout- and so it's great for athletes or anyone interested in maximizing gains from their workout. I would say milk is a good post-exercise choice and is better for gains in muscle protein which repairs the damage caused by exercise.

T

thestevenman

Post workout I prefer fruits, soda and sometimes egg white. I take milk before sleeping.