• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

RIP Brendon Doherty

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew
Staff
Author
RIP Brendon Doherty.. Another bodybuilder is lost way too young.

Brendon Doherty

Friends to say farewell to Salem body-builder who battled cancer twice

By Breanna Edelstein bedelstein@eagletribune.com

"It doesn't matter what people tell you that you can do," Brendon Doherty wrote near the end of his life. "It's basically what you put your mind to."

The 35-year-old Salem man died last week after a five-year battle with bone and liver cancers. A former body builder and health guru, Doherty shared his struggles on Facebook, attracting a large local audience as he opened up about the devastating reality of intensive treatments while exploring the power of holistic healing methods.

The posts — shared across the country — served as reminders to persevere without letting daily inconveniences become overbearing.

A Celebration of Life ceremony for Doherty is planned for Sunday, at Castleton Banquet and Conference Center in Windham from 4 to 9 p.m. The casual event is something Doherty would have enjoyed, according to friends.

"He always said that if anything was going to come from all of this, it was that he would inspire people to keep fighting," his longtime girlfriend Arianna Salvatore said. "This is to remember him."

Doherty was in his late-20s and in top shape when doctors put an expiration date on his life.

In 2012, they discovered cancerous tumors lining his liver. Doctors told Doherty that he was genetically-predisposed to the disease, though it was likely exacerbated by his high protein diet. If he fought hard enough, doctors said, he had two years to live.

Doherty fought the disease — hard.

What followed was a failed liver resection that cut the size of the essential organ by 80 percent, as well as several other surgeries and doses of chemotherapy.

Paired with vitamin supplements, vegetable juicing and alternative healing methods, Doherty's tumors eventually shrunk.

He beat cancer once, but the fight wasn't over.

Troubling blood test results at a routine follow-up appointment, however, caught him off guard in 2014, according to friends and family.

Doherty had leukemia, another form of cancer that attacks the blood and bone marrow. Friends say he fought valiantly, but the disease was too much for his body — which had shrunk from about 225 to 130 pounds — to handle.

Doherty lived his last days with his girlfriend Salvatore and his older brother, Darren, in a Boston hospital room surrounded by other family.

He came out of a 38-hour medically-induced coma long enough to say goodbye. Despite his physical weakness, Salvatore said he encouraged everyone gathered at his beside to make him proud and keep on with life.

"Before he passed, he had showed me how to do things around the house — with the bike, just everything — so that he'd know I could take care of myself when he was gone," Salvatore said. "He gave me his strength and made me, me. We had talked about so much. We lived every day like it was our last."

Salvatore met Doherty in nursing school. She joked that she was the girl who napped in the back of the classroom while Doherty sat front and center. His hand was perpetually in the air, she said, and he was an unending source of questions.

Ever-committed to his fitness goals, he went to class with a lunchbox filled with grilled chicken and steamed broccoli florets.

Doherty was also known for his larger-than-life persona, which he used to help others. He wanted to work in the healthcare field while coaching body building hopefuls and running an individualized meal preparation business.

His personal success in competitions and impressive lifts in the gym helped attract clients.

It connected him to some of his closest friends, including Windham natives Sahil Maripuri and his wife Chrissy.

"He was all about living life on his own terms. That's what was so inspiring about him," Sahil said. "Regardless of the cards he was dealt, he was always trying to do things his own way. He was one of the closest friends I've ever had and I'll never forget how far that mentality got him."

Doherty's friend and client Eric Spofford of Windham describes him simply as "a warrior," who loved those closest to him and long rides on his Harley Davidson motorcycle.

"He really taught me through demonstration, how he lived his life," Spofford said. "Take every struggle life throws and you and turn it into a positive. If anyone could find the silver lining, it was that kid."

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/fr...cle_27e8a8db-8f60-5bdd-bfc6-fa7afc5261a9.html

Charlie

Charlie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sad story when a good guy and bodybulder dies so young. Rip Brendon.

ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This guy was a really good guy. I heard about this awhile ago.