• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Hand and arm exercises for stroke patients

R

remnant

Banned
It seems like a daunting task for a stroke patient to recover the use
of their hands. In the first place, patients are conditioned that
they cannot recover. But its good to start early to regain control of
muscle control and reduce spasticity.

P

Pharmacom

I worked with such clients. This is a very difficult task, but if the client is set for hard work, success is guaranteed

fitnessmara

fitnessmara

I had a stroke patient within my family, it is shocking to see a person that used to be healthy and happy in such a terrible bed-bound condition.
Most of these people are elderly family members and sometimes they never recover.
Either because of the n nature of their character, advanced age or just a common loss of the interest, these people tend to let go and turn mischievous.
The last thing they want is to practice, and our own family member was a book example of such a behavior.
I think that answer is always in psycho, almost never in a body, but it is hard.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know of several stroke victims that have recovered fully with the help of therapy although most of the stroke victims close to me were not able to recover. One of them is my mother-in-law who cannot use her right hand. The therapy starts with the stress ball and graduates with the hand grip. But in between, the exercise involves stretching and calisthenics.

fitnessmara

fitnessmara

I think that a stroke patient within my family was unable to fully recover due to her advanced age, but also because nobody really gives so much though to her therapy or the way to make her feel better.
At one point she underwent into a complete digression because of the senility so after that it was impossible to anything more for her.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I suffered a stroke, aneurism at the right hemisphere of my brain a year ago and for 2 months the left side of my body including my left arm and leg was weak, i attended several therapy sessions but it didn't quite worked out so I just rested at home and exercised a bit daily and slowly but surely my strength came back and was back to normal within 2 months.

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You are lucky to be alive.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I suffered a stroke, aneurism at the right hemisphere of my brain a year ago and for 2 months the left side of my body including my left arm and leg was weak, i attended several therapy sessions but it didn't quite worked out so I just rested at home and exercised a bit daily and slowly but surely my strength came back and was back to normal within 2 months.

You are lucky to have recovered from a stroke. But maybe the clue is the paralysis. When half of the body is paralyzed, it looks like the patient cannot recover anymore. And when half of the body is weak or even very weak, the chance of recovery is still there. I remember our neighbor who had undergone therapy for his paralyzed body, there were times that we could hear him screaming or crying. And in spite of his hardship in the therapy, he didn't recover until he died after 5 years.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

My mom suffered from a mild stroke five years ago, and she said the first sign she noticed that she is experiencing one is having impaired speech. Good thing we were there, so we immediately rushed her to the emergency room. She had paralysis on the right-hand side of her body. At first, she can barely walk so to regain full functionality of her arms and legs what she did (with our help) was religiously exercise every morning and practiced her penmanship (for her hands). I thank God she is okay now and fully recovered.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My mom suffered from a mild stroke five years ago, and she said the first sign she noticed that she is experiencing one is having impaired speech. Good thing we were there, so we immediately rushed her to the emergency room. She had paralysis on the right-hand side of her body. At first, she can barely walk so to regain full functionality of her arms and legs what she did (with our help) was religiously exercise every morning and practiced her penmanship (for her hands). I thank God she is okay now and fully recovered.

This reminds me of my father's first stroke. He answered the phone when my niece who is a doctor called. My niece noticed that there was a slur when my father spoke. She asked about the numbness of the face. When my father replied to the positive, my niece talked to my mother and asked her to bring my father to the hospital. Indeed it was a mild stroke. And with the early detection, my father was able to recover in 2 weeks time.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

This reminds me of my father's first stroke. He answered the phone when my niece who is a doctor called. My niece noticed that there was a slur when my father spoke. She asked about the numbness of the face. When my father replied to the positive, my niece talked to my mother and asked her to bring my father to the hospital. Indeed it was a mild stroke. And with the early detection, my father was able to recover in 2 weeks time.

Good thing your niece was attentive and immediately noticed that there is something wrong with your father. That is one advantage of having a doctor in the family. The recovery time of your father was fast. My mother took I believe four months to recover completely.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

You are lucky to have recovered from a stroke. But maybe the clue is the paralysis. When half of the body is paralyzed, it looks like the patient cannot recover anymore. And when half of the body is weak or even very weak, the chance of recovery is still there. I remember our neighbor who had undergone therapy for his paralyzed body, there were times that we could hear him screaming or crying. And in spite of his hardship in the therapy, he didn't recover until he died after 5 years.

Yep, I was really lucky that I didn't blackout, well I was about to but I punch and pinch my leg to stay awake and I induced vomiting because I thought at first that it might be a reaction to something that I ate. Well, my uncle wasn't so lucky, he blacked out and hit his head in the floor, he became paralyzed half body up to now.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Make sure you do your exercises correctly and consistently with a high number of reps to get the best results. Some good exercises for stroke patients include the circle movement with your arms and pushing movement as well - these can be done with a water bottle.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Make sure you do your exercises correctly and consistently with a high number of reps to get the best results. Some good exercises for stroke patients include the circle movement with your arms and pushing movement as well - these can be done with a water bottle.

When my mother-in-law had a stroke, I saw one of her therapy sessions. It looked difficult because she would have a temper after several reps as if it was very painful to the affected hand and foot. The therapist complained to us that the patient was too stubborn for her own good and she wouldn't be able to recover if she wouldn't follow the exercises as per the instruction of the therapist. True enough, she was not able to recover and half her body remained paralytic.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Stroke is very deadly illness and if care isn't taken, the illness kills the patient within days. Let me drop an open confession here, my maternal uncle and an only son was killed by stroke. He was just down and bed ridden for 4 days and he gave up the ghost. We tried our possible best to give the best medical treatment available in our disposal but he was not strong enough to battle the stroke illness. Massage is a very good therapy given to stroke patients.