• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Bulging tummy as you age

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is a sad fact of life that we cannot avoid - having a bulging tummy as we grow old. When I was younger, I thought that a bulging tummy is due to obesity or being overweight. But now I have come to terms that the tummy's muscle of old people is sagging which causes the bulge. And the only natural way to fight that condition is to have a strong tummy muscle.

R

rz3300

Banned
Seems like it happens to almost everyone, outside of the lucky few. Of course there are ways to avoid it and try to beat it, but we all know how that goes. As long as your overall health is good though hopefully you can just work on it as you please.

O

Oldschool

This is a sad fact of life that we cannot avoid - having a bulging tummy as we grow old. When I was younger, I thought that a bulging tummy is due to obesity or being overweight. But now I have come to terms that the tummy's muscle of old people is sagging which causes the bulge. And the only natural way to fight that condition is to have a strong tummy muscle.

Abdominal muscles dont sag. A bulging midsection is from too much body fat. You can have a flat stomach at any age by lowering bodyfat.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seems like it happens to almost everyone, outside of the lucky few. Of course there are ways to avoid it and try to beat it, but we all know how that goes. As long as your overall health is good though hopefully you can just work on it as you please.

I know of a guy who is 70 and still doing workout regularly. He's got the muscles and the abs as well. But he confided to me that his midsection sags when he is not aware. In other words, he is just holding up his tummy otherwise it will also sag. All the while I thought his abs were for real because his biceps are great to look at and he looks strong with his muscles. Unfortunately, the abs is the issue.

R

remnant

Banned
I have managed to keep my tummy reasonably flat. It has to do with slower metabolism as we age and to good measure enhanced by alcohol. You don't have to over exert yourself, just keep the tummy tucked in.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Obesity as we age is just a matter of having a poor diet and poor exercise habits. If we manage to turn this around, that tummy will just go away.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Whenever I develop a bump in my tummy I do 10 counts of crunches, jumping jacks, situps, jumping jacks, Lat pull downs (wide, medium, close, and all reverse holds and back holds.) About 5 sets each every other day and the bump will be gone in a week.

preacherbob50

preacherbob50

Yeah, as we age the abs tell a major story of our personal habits. Nutrition again plays a huge part and the lack of selective exercise plays the other part. No, I do not mean that we can select the fat to be burned, but the muscles we work.
@Kakashi2020 mentioned a few exercises he does and it would appear that those exercises work for him.

For me, the lower ab "pouch" started to develop and I learned from some pretty good research that a good ab workout doesn't necessarily help out with the inner ab muscles. What helped me was starting a good regimen of doing planks and stomach vacuums. I don't include either one in my normal workouts but do them randomly whenever I feel like it which is pretty much several times a day.
In my regular scheduling, I also found that working the oblique muscles helps to tighten things up.

But still, as it has been mentioned a few hundred times before on this forum and every piece of documentation I have read, if your nutritional intake isn't up to par, the rest is just going through the motions.

Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix

Yeah, as we age the abs tell a major story of our personal habits. Nutrition again plays a huge part and the lack of selective exercise plays the other part. No, I do not mean that we can select the fat to be burned, but the muscles we work.
@Kakashi2020 mentioned a few exercises he does and it would appear that those exercises work for him.

For me, the lower ab "pouch" started to develop and I learned from some pretty good research that a good ab workout doesn't necessarily help out with the inner ab muscles. What helped me was starting a good regimen of doing planks and stomach vacuums. I don't include either one in my normal workouts but do them randomly whenever I feel like it which is pretty much several times a day.
In my regular scheduling, I also found that working the oblique muscles helps to tighten things up.

But still, as it has been mentioned a few hundred times before on this forum and every piece of documentation I have read, if your nutritional intake isn't up to par, the rest is just going through the motions.
This is really helpful preacherbob. I have also noticed that the muscles I am working are not necessarily tightening. My abs were once so visible but are now disappearing one by one. It is very disheartening because as I am sure all if us know, abs and pectoral muscles are one of the hardest to achieve. I will try some of the exercises you have mentioned and see if they work for me. Thanks.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
preacherbob50

preacherbob50

You're certainly most welcome @Kieraniewix and I do hope it helps. I didn't see an age in the profile, but if you're over 50 then you might also be experiencing a hormonal decrease which is another topic entirely. Man tits and belly fat come with the territory but while they're hard to get rid of, good diet and proper workouts turn that around.
Working the larger muscle masses helps to build testosterone levels and other age related hormonal decreases and for me, I also employ a natural aromatase blocker.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Whenever I develop a bump in my tummy I do 10 counts of crunches, jumping jacks, situps, jumping jacks, Lat pull downs (wide, medium, close, and all reverse holds and back holds.) About 5 sets each every other day and the bump will be gone in a week.

Very good idea actually. It requires discipline to workout though, but it's a good idea!

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am now using an athletic supporter every day at least in the morning until noon time just so my tummy will not bulge too much. And I have noticed that it is somehow effective because the supporter acts like a girdle not only to suppress the bulge of my tummy but also to make me feel comfortable. But I still do some basic exercises in the morning just to perk me up and also to give me energy for the day.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

You have made a very good point in this your comment, yes age do have some kind of say in how our body appears on the long run but we can most certainly dictate how our develops and changes as we get older. Now, you mentioned that one's diet plays a good role in determining how our body appears, and from sticking with a good diet that is low on fats will definitely help in keeping one's body especially tummy in a good shape. I can see that you forgot to mention stopping taking alcoholic beverages especially beers. They can give you sagged belly like an overnight pregnancy.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Maybe it is not a bulging tummy but only bloated. I get that after eating a heavy meal. I feel the same way as you do, thinking that I have a bulging belly and wants to get rid of it fast, but every morning when I haven't had breakfast yet, it seems that is not as big of a bulging like a pregnant woman has. I don't know, I am no expert in this but try to observe as well if you are just bloated or not.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Maybe it is not a bulging tummy but only bloated. I get that after eating a heavy meal. I feel the same way as you do, thinking that I have a bulging belly and wants to get rid of it fast, but every morning when I haven't had breakfast yet, it seems that is not as big of a bulging like a pregnant woman has. I don't know, I am no expert in this but try to observe as well if you are just bloated or not.

When you over eat, it tends to have effect on the size of your stomach and if you keep doing that on daily basis, it's definitely going to have your stomach expanded, thereby making it burst out anytime you eat even a little food. This is why it's always be having control when it comes to what we eat, how we eat and when we eat. Eating late at night is very bad.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh well, maybe it's time to quit on the soda. To be honest, I have difficulty eating when there is no soda except when the food has soup. I consume at least 2 cans of Coke in a day and my wife said that it may be the culprit to my bulging tummy. Whenever I would not drink soda for a day, there is a weird feeling like the tummy is not sagging although it's just a feeling.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh well, maybe it's time to quit on the soda. To be honest, I have difficulty eating when there is no soda except when the food has soup. I consume at least 2 cans of Coke in a day and my wife said that it may be the culprit to my bulging tummy. Whenever I would not drink soda for a day, there is a weird feeling like the tummy is not sagging although it's just a feeling.

Please make sure to take it easy with the consumption or drinking of too much soda drinks and especially coke as a result of the amount of sugar it contains. If it's just diet coke then it's not going to be a big problem. If you can't reduce drinking it, it's better to plan yourself on stopping and quitting entirely from taking it. Personally, I don't take coke beverages.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
As we get older, your metabolism slows up quite a bit and you need less calories, and they say you cannot eat like you once did in your 30s and 40s. You consume all those extra calories and don't burn them off as easily, because most people become more sedentary as they become older- and so all that fat is stored in your midsection. I would say the older you get, you need to consume less calories and do more movement to improve this condition.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
As we get older, your metabolism slows up quite a bit and you need less calories, and they say you cannot eat like you once did in your 30s and 40s. You consume all those extra calories and don't burn them off as easily, because most people become more sedentary as they become older- and so all that fat is stored in your midsection. I would say the older you get, you need to consume less calories and do more movement to improve this condition.

You have a very good point about how the human body and system works at old age. Everything takes a slow pace whey one gets older, energy level drops, hunger drops, thinking drops, metabolism slows as well. This is why it's very important to take very good care of one's health and body when old because we tend to fall sick very quickly from doing the wrong things when it's not supposed to be done.