• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

B12 deficiency is a myth

fitnessmara

fitnessmara

It is said that we don't need B12 daily and that it can be stored for months, so the possibility of the deficiency is minimal.
But, the science TILL present date was saying that we need it because it si obligatory and we only can get it form the animal based food.

Somehow, this vitamin got on a line whenever people mention vegan diet.
Because, for some reason only an animal based food has it and we , apparently, desperately need it.
Or we are going to shrink and die... lol

I just wonder how cows down run out of it...

I am no vegan, you wish, but I was reading that the people living for years ( read, decades..) without supplements and yeast have no deficiency of any kind because it is a myth.

I mean, they should be long time dead or seriously deformed/ill if this was true. But they are not, they are perfectly normal.

The reason is this... B12 is just a vitamin, not a protein or a carb, you don't need it in pounds...

The plants already contain the bacteria and enzymes who are able to create B12 in our digestive system in a necessary amount without any animal food intake.

What is your thought on this?

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Vitamin B12 can also be found in Almonds and Peanuts although you can't reach the RDA from eating nuts alone because the RDA for Vitamin B12 is 2.4 - 2.8 micrograms daily. For vegans it's best to eat vitamin fortified food like cereals, non dairy milks, rice, energy bars.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I really don't know what B12 is but I've heard that on the radio when I was a student. My mother would say that B12 is important for the children because it helps in the growth of the body. But that's only according to the radio announcer as a way of promoting a product. Anyway, I agree that a vitamin is not a necessity but it certainly helps in one way or another. And if we can get a particular vitamin from the food that we eat then I think that is the best instead of taking pills or tablets.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

They say that you might lack in B12 if you are a vegan, meaning you do not eat any animal products which include cheese, milk, eggs, and meat. I've read that B12 is associated with nerve functions and a deficiency causes neuropathy, burning feet and pins and needle sensation.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The body needs vitamin B12 to make red blood cells, nerves, DNA and other functions as well- and it cannot be made by the body, instead you must get this from food supplements and it is more common for older people to not get enough B12. Plants don't deliver and some foods that do are meat, eggs, poultry and dairy products. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you should eat breads, cereal, or other grains that have been fortified with B12.