• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Fasting + Stimulants

TheShadow

TheShadow

For clients who have fasting periods in their programming for whatever reason. (increasing insulin sensitivity, increasing dietary adherence, using drugs that accelerate FFA mobilisation, reduce systemic stress of constant mTOR stimulation to mention just a few reasons), I do like to incorporate stimulants where the situation suits.

We have all seen the anecdote that stimulants curb appetite, increase energy when there is little substrate available etc, however, here is some research that could shed some light on why their is a synergy between stimulants and fasting.

Intake of a stimulant, and relevant increase in dopamine significantly reduced caloric intake in mice.

In a higher frequency feeding pattern however, although per meal intake was less, overall intake remained the same.

Therefore, dopamine both encourages to begin eating, as well as satiation.

This could provide some insight as to why stimulant use works so well in intermittent fasting models, but not so much with a higher meal frequency model.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v41/n7/abs/ijo201774a.html?foxtrotcallback=true

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

In my opinion stimulants when used in fasting would initially curb appetite but after its effect you would crave more for food so I guess stimulants can be effective in short fasts which last for a day or 2 but is counter effective when used in long fasts.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is not a letdown to the topic. I just want to be careful when ingesting chemicals, be it vitamins or whatever item that is related to our body particularly muscles. When I was experiencing severe muscle pain due to playing basketball when I was younger, one doctor prescribed pain reliever for my muscles. But another doctor said that the medication may affect my stomach. Likewise with stimulants, fasting is already very stressful to the body and stimulants, as you say, will curb appetite. That combination is not comfortable with me.