• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The role of antinutrients

R

remnant

Banned
Antinutrients are minerals or chemical compounds that bind to nutrients rendering the body ineffective in absorbing them. Examples are phytates and tannins as well as saponins. Cassava is one of the foods that contain these. Bodybuilders should put this into consideration including those taking supplements and indeed everyone else.

fitnessmara

fitnessmara

Shouldn't we let a body take what it needs, because playing with this sort of a ball can land us a bomb to explode into our faces.
I am not sure of this is even safe.
It's like taking poison for food lol

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Anti nutrients have both adverse and beneficial effects in the body, it's most commonly found in plant food and can reduce the blood glucose and insulin, plasma and triglyceride levels.

Phytic Acid is an example of an antinutrient, it impairs the absorption of calcium, iron and zinc and may promote mineral deficiencies.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you have nutrient deficiencies that show up in lab testing, you might want to consider the role of antinutrients, also people that eat vegan or a raw foods diet, may be more of a risk for overconsumption.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is the first time that I’ve heard of the term anti-nutrients and I am really confused. If my understanding is correct, the anti-nutrients prevent the body to absorb the nutrients and therefore they serve as an aide to dieting. In other words, anti-nutrients may be the answer to the weight loss problem of the world. However, I’m sure there are drawbacks that taking anti-nutrients often can make you sick.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seriously, to be very honest with you, this is my very first time of hearing anything called anti-nutrients. From its name, it was very easy to decode it's a chemical compound that probably works against nutrients especially in the food one consumes. I'm never aware of its existence in cassava, although I don't eat cassava that much, so I don't think I would have much to worry about having to found too much anti-nutrients chemical compound in my body system. It's definitely not something healthy to have have too much in one's body.

G

GuestHu

Banned
The function of antinutrients is to block the absorption of nutrients. It is naturally found in animals and many plant-based foods. In plants, these compounds are designed to protect from bacterial infections and being eaten by insects. An example compounds that contain antinutrients are Glucosinolates in cruciferous vegetables; Lectins in legumes; Oxalates in leafy veggies; Phytic acid in whole grain, seeds, legumes, and some nuts; Saponins in legumes and whole grains; and Tannins in tea, coffee, and legumes. But the effects of these antinutrients vary from person to person. We do not have the same metabolism rate and how we cook the foods affect the number of nutrients.

Bravosi

Bravosi

Banned
Antinutrients are indeed important! I can vouch for that. Even at my childhood my father was telling me that!

jeffreyjose48

jeffreyjose48

Banned
Its good to know about your information on anitnutrients. I think I have a problem with antinutrients. Its because eating cassava is my favorite. I very much like the taste of cassava cake.

C

Concentrix

There are plants that contain antinutrients, compounds that reduce the absorption of nutrients from the digestive system. But consuming these antinutrients is not a problem for healthy people but it would be a problem for those malnourished people and people who base their diets solely on grains and legumes. But not all antinutrients are bad. Like phytic acid, which is found in beans and whole grain, it may help lower blood sugar and cholesterol.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff