• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Snacking while on a workout

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have been seeing younger people eating snacks while on a break in their workout. From what I know, eating when exercising is not good for the body. The muscles and flesh are tensed when doing the workout so the digestive system becomes prone to indigestion. Even drinking water should be controlled so as not to affect the stomach.

O

Oldschool

The "problem " with eating or to some extent, drinking during strenuous exercise is shunting which is a term describing the redirection of blood and oxygen away from the muscles to the digestive process. The extent to which this impairs muscle strength will vary between individuals.

R

remnant

Banned
I have tried the same but the effects were positive. I suppose shunting is more common with low glycaemic index foods which take longer to digest and this can even lead to slackness and even drowsiness. High glycaemic index foods are better, digestion is faster and energy release is quicker in the course of exercise, thats my honest opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried the same but the effects were positive. I suppose shunting is more common with low glycaemic index foods which take longer to digest and this can even lead to slackness and even drowsiness. High glycaemic index foods are better, digestion is faster and energy release is quicker in the course of exercise, thats my honest opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

O

Oldschool

High glycemic foods will cause a rapid surge in blood sugar followed by a drop which can cause extreme tiredness. Low glycemic carbs will do the opposite. Again, it depends on how the individual reacts to blood sugar variations.

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I've gone to several gyms since I was in my 20's and all of them have snack bars that sells protein rich snacks like boiled eggs, meat and cheese sandwiches, power energy bars, protein shakes, fresh fruit juices beverages, whole milk, rehydration drinks and the like but no one eats during workout time, some do drink water, juices, energy drinks in between sets but while in a 5-10 minute break but no one ever ate while on a break or during the workout proper. We usually have a bite in the snack bar after our program, and we don't eat much, I remember that I always eat 2 hard-boiled eggs or a grilled cheese sandwich along with a bottle of water after my workout. Then after a couple of hours that's the time I'll eat a full meal.

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with Oldschool.
If you are trying to build Muscle then you don't want to be snacking while working out.
Cause then you Defeat the entire purpose, which is to push Blood and Oxygen into the working Muscle.

I do occasionally use an Intra-Workout Drink during Very Heavy Sessions.
But it's just some Hydrolyzed Whey and Maltodextrin, which shuttles the Nutrients to the Muscles.
Hydrolyzed Whey is Pre-Digested, so the Stomach doesn't need to Digest it.............................. JP

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not for me, but I can take some juice or energy drinks. When I get to eat while on workout, it gives me stomach ache. I have tried it several times and resorted to not eating anything at all until I'm done with my exercise.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
One thing is eating during a workout, other thing is having a small snack for an energy boost, and this I think can enhance training.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
One thing is eating during a workout, other thing is having a small snack for an energy boost, and this I think can enhance training.

Eating in the middle of a workout doesn't seem to be a good thing to do in my opinion because you are working out to cut off some stuff especially fats from the body, and eating immediately when you are yet to complete your drills will take you back to zero start. If it's just energy drinks, it's good but snacks should be eliminated.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Snacking during a workout would depend on if your stomach could tolerate food during a workout- also consider the duration and intensity of your workout as well. And if you are working out with a empty stomach, you may have to eat during your workout and this could include a protein bar or drink, and the right combo would be something with protein and carbs in it- but I would stay away from whole foods while lifting though.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Snacking during a workout would depend on if your stomach could tolerate food during a workout- also consider the duration and intensity of your workout as well. And if you are working out with a empty stomach, you may have to eat during your workout and this could include a protein bar or drink, and the right combo would be something with protein and carbs in it- but I would stay away from whole foods while lifting though.

Exactly. You have a very good point about this issue of eating snacks when working out. There are some people who can't have it go well with them when they eat anything other than what's in liquid form when they are exercising. I tried eating something once when working out and it never went well with me at all.