Your first visit?
Register
  • The Facebook Platform

Snacking while on a workout

I have been seeing younger people eating snacks while on a break in their workout. From what I know, eating when exercising is not good for the body. The muscles and flesh are tensed when doing the workout so the digestive system becomes prone to indigestion. Even drinking water should be controlled so as not to affect the stomach.

Similar Bodybuilding Threads:

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical, Competition
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Re: Snacking while on a workout

The "problem " with eating or to some extent, drinking during strenuous exercise is shunting which is a term describing the redirection of blood and oxygen away from the muscles to the digestive process. The extent to which this impairs muscle strength will vary between individuals.

I have tried the same but the effects were positive. I suppose shunting is more common with low glycaemic index foods which take longer to digest and this can even lead to slackness and even drowsiness. High glycaemic index foods are better, digestion is faster and energy release is quicker in the course of exercise, thats my honest opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried the same but the effects were positive. I suppose shunting is more common with low glycaemic index foods which take longer to digest and this can even lead to slackness and even drowsiness. High glycaemic index foods are better, digestion is faster and energy release is quicker in the course of exercise, thats my honest opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

High glycemic foods will cause a rapid surge in blood sugar followed by a drop which can cause extreme tiredness. Low glycemic carbs will do the opposite. Again, it depends on how the individual reacts to blood sugar variations.

Junior Member bodybuilding reputation Kakashi2020's Avatar
    Height
    5'9-1/2"
    Weight
    187lbs
    Biceps

Chest

Waist
    36"

I've gone to several gyms since I was in my 20's and all of them have snack bars that sells protein rich snacks like boiled eggs, meat and cheese sandwiches, power energy bars, protein shakes, fresh fruit juices beverages, whole milk, rehydration drinks and the like but no one eats during workout time, some do drink water, juices, energy drinks in between sets but while in a 5-10 minute break but no one ever ate while on a break or during the workout proper. We usually have a bite in the snack bar after our program, and we don't eat much, I remember that I always eat 2 hard-boiled eggs or a grilled cheese sandwich along with a bottle of water after my workout. Then after a couple of hours that's the time I'll eat a full meal.

Member bodybuilding reputation jp1234's Avatar
    Height
    6'1/2"
    Weight
    Biceps
    171/2"
    Chest
    47"
    Waist
    36"

I agree with Oldschool.
    If you are trying to build Muscle then you don't want to be snacking while working out.
    Cause then you Defeat the entire purpose, which is to push Blood and Oxygen into the working Muscle.

I do occasionally use an Intra-Workout Drink during Very Heavy Sessions.
    But it's just some Hydrolyzed Whey and Maltodextrin, which shuttles the Nutrients to the Muscles.
    Hydrolyzed Whey is Pre-Digested, so the Stomach doesn't need to Digest it.............................. JP

• MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Muscle Building,
      Power Lifting, Weight Training
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

We stand behind our bodybuilding products and assure QUALITY

collapse Posting Permissions