• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Push up and sit up

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is surprising to me that some people are doing push up and sit up. Isn't it preposterous that either one can do the job? Push up builds the triceps although I know it also have a big effect on the abs. Sit ups is mainly for the abs and some power to the arms. Maybe they want to have quick results so they do the push up and sit up at the same time.

O

Oldschool

Not sure I understand your point...
Pushups primarily work the pecs, tris, rhomboids, traps and sit ups work your core - not arms. Both are great additions to any program and excellent in building muscle endurance although I personally prefer pkanks to sit ups.

O

Oldschool

He is right!
I challenge everyone to do 100 - 200 pushups every day and see how it impacts your physique.

Big Beef

Big Beef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm a huge fan of pushups! Body weight exercises in general & you can get good results off of em. So many different ways you can do pushups.

macedog24

macedog24

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
He is right!
I challenge everyone to do 100 - 200 pushups every day and see how it impacts your physique.
Agree, Push up with there different variations can have a dramatic effect on your upper body and strength.

R

rz3300

Banned
Well if Arnold says it than it is good in my book. All kidding aside though, with all the machines and high tech stuff out there, it is sometimes hard to beat the classics with these two, and they do do the trick, for the most part at least.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Actually, both exercises drills works on different parts of the body, so it's only right to do both of them when one desires both parts of the body to be developed to the person's taste. Sit ups helps with the burning of belly fat and developing of the abs. Most young man in the world today fancy burning belly fat and having abs. It's actually few people that engage in push ups because as easy it seems, it's actually difficult to do 50 push ups at once.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am not to big on sit ups, but I find push ups a great exercise, and I think doing to many sit ups will only give you back pain in the future- so doing sit ups may even make you look worst in a bathing suit as well. I would maybe stick to a kettlebell swing for you waistline though, to give you a flatter belly.

O

Oldschool

Sit ups will not burn belly fat any more than other exercise. Overall calorie reduction and greater energy expenditure is what burns fat anywhere on your body.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sit ups will not burn belly fat any more than other exercise. Overall calorie reduction and greater energy expenditure is what burns fat anywhere on your body.

When you want to focus only on burning your belly fat, sit ups can do that effectively for you. But if you are looking at burning calories off all over from your body, then an Overall body general exercise routine will do that for you, and running will be your best bet.

O

Oldschool

When you want to focus only on burning your belly fat, sit ups can do that effectively for you. But if you are looking at burning calories off all over from your body, then an Overall body general exercise routine will do that for you, and running will be your best bet.

Again this is incorrect.
Fat is not burned locally while working a muscle.
Fat is burned during recovery as energy supplies are restored.
Squats will burn more belly fat than ab work because the ab muscles are extremely small compared to the many larger muscles in the legs and hips which require more energy.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For me, the most important about working out is to have proper guidance. Without guidance we don't know what we are doing.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

When you want to focus only on burning your belly fat, sit ups can do that effectively for you. But if you are looking at burning cwalories off all over from your body, then an Overall body general exercise routine will do that for you, and running will be your best bet.

Again this is incorrect.
Fat is not burned locally while working a muscle.
Fat is burned during recovery as energy supplies are restored.
Squats will burn more belly fat than ab work because the ab muscles are extremely small compared to the many larger muscles in the legs and hips which require more energy.

Well, I beg to differ on this statement of yours. I take up squat exercise as well as crunches but never have I experienced better effect on my belly with crunches the way squats affects. If you read my first comment well, I made mention about focusing of drills, and focusing crunches on the belly abs and squats which one is supposed to affect the stomach fat better?

O

Oldschool

The one that burns the most calories.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The one that burns the most calories.

Every workouts burns calories depending on what your workouts plans are. If you are looking at working out on your belly fat, I think that sit ups would have more effect and working on your arms would require more of press up. But generally, overall body workout drills will have more impact and effects in burning calories in human body.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am not to big on sit ups, but I find push ups a great exercise, and I think doing to many sit ups will only give you back pain in the future- so doing sit ups may even make you look worst in a bathing suit as well. I would maybe stick to a kettlebell swing for you waistline though, to give you a flatter belly.

It's true that when you do too much sit ups, the chances of getting back pains in the future seems to be increased. Normally, it's for the purpose of abs training that sit ups are for. There are other drills that can achieve that for and one of them is planks. Do more of planks and less of sit ups.

acehealth001

acehealth001

Banned
I haven't heard doctors advising against push ups but I've read a lot of articles that say sit-ups can be bad for the tummy. I need to do more research on this though but it makes sense because the muscles being developed are abdominal muscles that hold our digestive system. From a positive perspective we can argue that it can guard/hold your abdominal organs but the strain being put on the stomach as a whole shoud be moderated. In push ups the arms are really made to work and our arms were really designed that way so there is no conflict.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I haven't heard doctors advising against push ups but I've read a lot of articles that say sit-ups can be bad for the tummy. I need to do more research on this though but it makes sense because the muscles being developed are abdominal muscles that hold our digestive system. From a positive perspective we can argue that it can guard/hold your abdominal organs but the strain being put on the stomach as a whole shoud be moderated. In push ups the arms are really made to work and our arms were really designed that way so there is no conflict.

All exercises puts strain all over the body where the exercises are focused, so sit ups being targeted at the stomach isn't excluded as well. What matters most is that you don't over do any exercise that you subject yourself to because too much of the drills will most likely be of some negative effects on your body and health as well.

O

Oldschool

It's true that when you do too much sit ups, the chances of getting back pains in the future seems to be increased. Normally, it's for the purpose of abs training that sit ups are for. There are other drills that can achieve that for and one of them is planks. Do more of planks and less of sit ups.

Back pain from situps indicates muscle imbalances between the ab and back muscles. A properly balanced training program will nirnally eliminate this problem.