• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Exercise vs fasting

R

remnant

Banned
I know me a middle aged man who is labouring under his weight and does vigorous logging daily in the morning and evening. It does not seem to work for him and I usually tell him that fasting is far much better. The reason is, not only does it nor up accumulated fats and toxins but it also clears cholesterol. Once gained, eat is very hard to shed through exercise.

jolter604

jolter604

Tren lube gives girls ass mass
Sponsor
Man i wish i could fast. 4 hours no food i get cranky

O

Oldschool

Your friends problem is that he has no muscle mass. Fasting will not fix his problem but resistance training with weights will.

ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If he stopped logging and started jogging he would be much better off. :)

Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

I fast from time to time it really helps Clean your system out from toxins

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I’m sure you’re not referring to me as that old man but I seem to be in the same boat. No, I am not exactly overweight but I have developed cellulites lately in spite of my morning push-ups and basic exercises. Worse, my cholesterol level is high so I guess I have to do something about it otherwise I will be peppered with medications. My plan is to lessen my food intake but not fasting because my acidic stomach will be acting up when it goes very hungry.

Natasha0717

Natasha0717

Same as Alexandoy ^ - I couldn't fast because my stomach would literally just burn itself up. Besides that, my sugar would drop and just keep dropping. (I'm hypoglycemic.) Fasting has always been interesting to me, yet, something I could never do, or try. I start getting shaky if I go too long in the a.m. without eating. I just get so busy doing jobs around the house and then before I know it, I've used up all my energy (and sugar) and I can barely see straight, think straight, or even stand straight.
Something else I've noticed, whenever I vigorously work out, let's say I do 2 sets of weights or walk 1 mile instead of .5, I tend to stay the same weight. But when I just do the minimum, I'm not quite as hungry, and I've also seen a lb.-drop on the scale the next day, which is always awesome. :-D

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Same as Alexandoy ^ - I couldn't fast because my stomach would literally just burn itself up. Besides that, my sugar would drop and just keep dropping. (I'm hypoglycemic.) Fasting has always been interesting to me, yet, something I could never do, or try. I start getting shaky if I go too long in the a.m. without eating. I just get so busy doing jobs around the house and then before I know it, I've used up all my energy (and sugar) and I can barely see straight, think straight, or even stand straight.
Something else I've noticed, whenever I vigorously work out, let's say I do 2 sets of weights or walk 1 mile instead of .5, I tend to stay the same weight. But when I just do the minimum, I'm not quite as hungry, and I've also seen a lb.-drop on the scale the next day, which is always awesome. :-D

I know of some people who are diabetic. That is a very punishing condition because you have to control your food intake, not too much and not too little otherwise you may experience hyper or hypo with your blood sugar. With exercise, it is also the same. Moderation is the key that's why diabetics are very restrictive with their earing habits and workouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
gibbs

gibbs

Banned
I think combining both works best. Do five sets of five while water fasting and that should be enough.

JiLLian

JiLLian

True. Fasting and excercise is perfect. Exercise can increase your energy level. It can also reduce the risk of chronic decease. There are a lot of benefits if you excercise and weight loss is just one of them.

In the other hand, fasting boosts your metabolism. It also improves cardiovascular health and lowers blood pressure. Though I can't name them all, I believe that combining these diet techniques will have good result.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
saaqibj

saaqibj

I think a mix of both is best.. Fasting alone doesn't help lose much weight.. it also increases your urge to eat.. try both

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I've done both dieting and fasting and I was quite busy doing a lot work, travelling daily when I tried dieting and it didn't work because I need to eat a lot so that I would have the energy needed to finish my work then and dieting makes me weak and hungry. Then at one time I tried fasting, drinking only pure coconut juice and water. I was surprised that I didn't get hungry and I felt quite full whenever I drink a lot of coconut juice. Fasting by not eating anything but soda crackers and drinking lots of coconut juice gave me energy while burning away my fats. So for me Fasting is more effective than dieting.

O

Oldschool

I've done both dieting and fasting and I was quite busy doing a lot work, travelling daily when I tried dieting and it didn't work because I need to eat a lot so that I would have the energy needed to finish my work then and dieting makes me weak and hungry. Then at one time I tried fasting, drinking only pure coconut juice and water. I was surprised that I didn't get hungry and I felt quite full whenever I drink a lot of coconut juice. Fasting by not eating anything but soda crackers and drinking lots of coconut juice gave me energy while burning away my fats. So for me Fasting is more effective than dieting.

Then you didnt diet correctly.
Do this:
1. Calculate your resting metabolic rate.
2. Add your daily total caloric expenditure.
3. Add 6-10% for the thermal effect of your meals.
4. From this number deduct 300-400 calories daily or increase your caloric expenditure by same amount.

This is the correct way to calculate a diet. It will be fast enough to loose weight but slow enough that you will not loose significant muscle or energy.

Good luck

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Thanks for your post! Please add a profile pic and avatar to go with it. :)

preacherbob50

preacherbob50

Dunno. It would seem that fasting allows the body to do as it wishes such as holding onto fat reserves whist burning up proteins via muscle fiber.
By using proper nutrition, (dieting) I'm more or less the boss. Because of my advanced age, I was forced to do the research and I know how my hormones work and I know how my body reacts to certain foods. I know a whole lot of what I need to know in order to build muscle mass, burn fat, run a caloric deficit all the way up to how much protein intake I need each day.
Proper nutrition isn't about dieting but the consumption of healthy foods in order to produce a desired effect on the body but a person has to know his or her own body in order to maximize the use of that knowledge.

People who simply diet or fast without knowing the facts are playing craps; some people win, some lose but it's still taking a lot of chances. Everyone is different in which age, gender, genetics, height, weight and a myriad of other things have to be considered so an across the board analysis isn't nor can be of any great help. There are probably a hundred thousand self help books out there and maybe, just maybe one of them might actually have some of the answers that a particular person needs in order to get healthy.
If a person is really committed to losing fat and gaining muscle (or even just toning up) he or she should invest some time getting a blood panel complete with hormone levels and then do the research to find out what nutritional and workout program is best for them and only them.

Bottom line is that I do not know nor cannot know whether fasting or dieting or whatever is good for everyone but I do know that maintaining a good and knowledgeable nutritional level is what is best for me.

Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think doing exercises is best and you can reduce the rate of food you it.Since our bodies still need energy which is obtained from our food.Strictly eat healthy foods while trying to loose weight or body building.