• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Liquid meals before exercise

R

remnant

Banned
Recent research suggests that liquid meals are best taken 30 minutes before exercise. For instance, a stiff drink of whey protein and carbohydrate shake is quite suitable. It seems uptake of amino acids is more rapid during exercise than after as a good number of people are won't to do.

Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

I do this for past 3 years and my workouts have improved as long with endurance

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The only liquid meal that I can take is oat meal which is for breakfast. But I think taking a liquid or semi-liquid meal before doing the workout is a nice idea since you don’t get hungry. I remember when I was still playing basketball, I could feel not only thirst but hunger as well because I have not eaten anything before going to the basketball court. But with my workout now which is done at home, there’s no need for eating before the workout.

JiLLian

JiLLian

Water is an essential nutrient that our body needs. It is a major component of our body. All our organs require water to function properly. Water assists in absorption, excretion, circulation, digestion in the body. Without water, you can die. It is required to keep hydrates before you workout. During exercise, you have to replace your sweat losses. You have to match your fluid intake as closely as possible to your loss.

Once your workout has finished, you should start drinking immediately. The sooner you start replacing the fluid you lost through sweat the sooner you will recover.

preacherbob50

preacherbob50

By "Liquid Meal" I am assuming that we're not talking about hydration nor easy to digest food but predigested proteins, carbs, amino acids etc as would be found in a protein shake.
And yes, I have a shake about an hour before my workout every day.

Heavier foods take too long to break down and slow down the blood stream but what I want to happen is for a quicker absorption rate so the nutrients can metabolize while I'm working out. The muscles need blood but if the digestive system is all bogged down trying to process heavy food then the nutrients such as metabolized carbs and proteins will not be there when I need them.

Plus, my regimen is pretty heavy so even a partially full stomach is a good way to create stomach cramps and whatever else might be an unpleasant digestive problem. (I don't think I need to spell that one out)

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

I would have to agree with you that drinking protein shakes before a workout is more effective than eating a heavy meal, it's because protein shakes are liquid and can easily be absorbed by the body and converted to energy unlike eating a heavy meal of meat that takes a day or two to breakdown and be converted into energy.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would say for a good liquid meal, you could have some fruit juice or a fruit smoothie, also you could have some high-glycemic fruits, like watermelon, pineapple, banana or a mango before you start your exercise. You should do this 30 minutes before your workout.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why not take a smoothie or a fruit shake in between the workout? A refreshing drink is very welcome when taking a long session that is broken in 2 with a break of 10 minutes. But I'm not really sure what the total effect would be because it will also depend on the kind of workout that you are doing.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My father would never eat anything without taking a glass of water. I asked him one day the reason why he normally does that and he makes me to understand that it helps put his stomach in good shape to absorb the meal and facilitate easy digestion.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff