• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The pitfalls of herbal supplements

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Over here, there may be thousands of herbal supplements of any kind from prevention of diseases to gaining energy and even muscles. But I hate to think that most of those supplements are considered food supplements which have the disclaimer at the bottom of the label that is has no approved therapeutic claims. Isn't it a puzzle why people still buy those products as if they believe when there is not approved testing for the claims?

acehealth001

acehealth001

Banned
When we see food supplements bearing a label that says: No Approved Therapeutic Claims, it only means that the food supplement did not undergo some medical tests approved by a state food and drug agency. But as an ordinary layman, I am more pragmatic about my approach to taking food supplements. In taking Moringa for example or malunggay, if I am able to verify the benefits of it from some other reputable and established sources, like a university research center, then I can take the supplement and validate the research claims of such university. I think it will cost a lot for one to come up with a cure for asthma for example because that med may be compared to other meds made by the big pharmas and obviously the state wouldn't want to lose revenues from these blue chip tax payers. But with regard to the efficacy of a food supplement, like coconut oil or turmeric, which has been proven to be effective in other labs, then there is really nothing to worry about.

acehealth001

acehealth001

Banned
I think a better concern could be the pitfalls of self medication. Now this is something different. Like if we self medicate ourselves using anti biotics without doctor's prescription or injecting intravenous meds that is only allowed inside hospitals, these things are really dangerous because we are doing things only medical pofessionals like MDs are supposed to do. The doctors even need to obtain licenses for their practice. But taking health supplements like herbs and fruits which are all natural and can be bought at supermarkets can be used at our discretion.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
These herbal supplements can be dangerous to cardiac patients sometimes because they can interact in the wrong way, with the many cardiac medicines. A lot of these herbal supplements do not go to well with heart medicines, so be careful before you take them.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

One of the reasons I see why these people purchase these kinds of products is because of HOPE. Maybe they already have tried other means, and it did not work for them. Like my cousin who was diagnosed with cancer, he took a stab at everything recommended by people to him to get cured.

It can also be because of being thrifty. These herbal products usually come at lower prices. Therefore, the low-earners of the society favor them.