Your first visit?
Register

Member bodybuilding reputation Kayce's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

What is the best meal before and after a workout?

Name:  rich_piana_diet.png
Views: 79
Size:  127.8 KB
    What do I eat before and after a workout? It is a question that every fitness lover has in mind when they are just starting out in their fitness journey. Before one hits the gym for a workout, their body requires an anabolic state. Anabolic state allows the body to keep the muscles already present.

One hour before a workout, a person should eat a meal that has carbs and protein in it. Carbs would provide the body necessary fuels for exercise.
    Protein (mind you we are not talking about the protein supplements) has amino acids that help the body be in an anabolic state and not burn muscles for energy supply.

A person should avoid fats before a workout as they slow down the food absorption in their body. And a stomach with food in it may cause breathing problems during the workout.

Best source of lean protein is egg whites. A bodybuilder can take bananas for carbs and some egg whites for protein one hour before their workout.
    Name:  bodybuilding_egg_whites.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  28.4 KB
    If a person is at an advanced level then they can go for protein supplements 20 to 30 minutes before their workout. And those who do not use supplements can take black coffee or green tea 20 minutes before their workout. Caffeine would be helpful in focus and concentration in a workout.

During a workout, a personís muscles break and after the workout, they need immediate recovery. So, just after a workout, body needs protein and glucose thatís depleted from the muscles in the form of glycogen. A person can have protein supplements or egg whites and a fruit just after a workout.

After an hour of workout, the time comes for the grand meal that has carbs, protein and fats in it. A fitness freak can also have multivitamins at this time. For protein, a person can have chicken, fish, or cottage cheese. For carbs, a person can have brown rice, brown bread or any other whole grain product. Vegetables should also be added to the meal for better digestion. Fats would come in the meal through oil used to cook the meal, olive oil is the most
    recommended and the healthiest.

Name:  chicken_for_bodybuilding.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  Bodybuilding_rice.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  bodybuilding_banana.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  20.2 KB

Hope you got all your answers!

Similar Bodybuilding Threads:

ďA world without women would be a pain in the assĒ

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical, Competition
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Mecca Maniac bodybuilding reputation Kakashi2020's Avatar
    Height
    5'9-1/2"
    Weight
    187lbs
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

Re: What is the best meal before and after a workout?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayce View Post
    Name:  rich_piana_diet.png
Views: 79
Size:  127.8 KB
    What do I eat before and after a workout? It is a question that every fitness lover has in mind when they are just starting out in their fitness journey. Before one hits the gym for a workout, their body requires an anabolic state. Anabolic state allows the body to keep the muscles already present.

One hour before a workout, a person should eat a meal that has carbs and protein in it. Carbs would provide the body necessary fuels for exercise.
    Protein (mind you we are not talking about the protein supplements) has amino acids that help the body be in an anabolic state and not burn muscles for energy supply.

A person should avoid fats before a workout as they slow down the food absorption in their body. And a stomach with food in it may cause breathing problems during the workout.

Best source of lean protein is egg whites. A bodybuilder can take bananas for carbs and some egg whites for protein one hour before their workout.
    Name:  bodybuilding_egg_whites.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  28.4 KB
    If a person is at an advanced level then they can go for protein supplements 20 to 30 minutes before their workout. And those who do not use supplements can take black coffee or green tea 20 minutes before their workout. Caffeine would be helpful in focus and concentration in a workout.

During a workout, a personís muscles break and after the workout, they need immediate recovery. So, just after a workout, body needs protein and glucose thatís depleted from the muscles in the form of glycogen. A person can have protein supplements or egg whites and a fruit just after a workout.

After an hour of workout, the time comes for the grand meal that has carbs, protein and fats in it. A fitness freak can also have multivitamins at this time. For protein, a person can have chicken, fish, or cottage cheese. For carbs, a person can have brown rice, brown bread or any other whole grain product. Vegetables should also be added to the meal for better digestion. Fats would come in the meal through oil used to cook the meal, olive oil is the most
    recommended and the healthiest.

Name:  chicken_for_bodybuilding.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  Bodybuilding_rice.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  bodybuilding_banana.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  20.2 KB

Hope you got all your answers!
    I normally workout at night, from 5PM-7PM and at 3pm, before going to the gym I eat a light snack like a sandwich or donuts with coffee, when I reach the gym at 4PM I usually order a banana smoothie with some hard boiled eggs this would give me the energy I need for the workout, then I go to my stretching and warm-up routine, after I get warmed up I then take some Fatburners and Amino Acids before proceeding to my sets. Midway to my workout I drink a cold red bull and chase it with some water for more energy, it has various B vitamins that increases my focus and energy, it has a lot of caffeine that helps me to finish my workout. After finishing my workout, I drink a bottle of water and just chill for about an hour before I take a fiber and protein packed dinner composed of pasta and chicken or beef and some bananas.

Junior Member bodybuilding reputation
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

There is still a substantial amount of food in the stomach (depending on what was eaten) after an hour of eating and blood will be directed away from working muscles (they will constrict) and directed towards the digestive organs. (they will dilate ) This is a process called shunting. It would be more beneficial to space any food consumed before a strenuous workout by at least 2hrs so that as much blood as possible is flowing to the muscle(s) being worked.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation Folk Artist's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

You should eat some carbs and protein with a small amount of fat before a workout, like some whole grain bread, oats, fresh fruits. Some meals after could include grilled chicken with roasted vegetables, or tuna salad sandwich on whole grain bread.

collapse Posting Permissions