• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Abdominal Cramps while Working Out

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

A year ago when I was working out in the gym, I just finished doing vertical crunches and when I was walking towards the drinking station I felt my midsection contract and I felt this electrifying pain in my stomach and abdomen a male nurse who was working out applied a heimlich maneuver like lift from my back and after repeated jerks the pain dissipated, he was in a hurry and I was feeling dizzy from what happened, I thought I was having a heart attack at first but thinking it was on my abdomen I ruled it out. The nurse who helped me left and I didn't have the chance to ask him what happened, does anyone here experienced something like abdominal cramps during workouts?

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's not only during workouts when the abdominal cramps can hit you. There were times that I would sneeze and suddenly there is an acute pain in my abdomen that would radiate upwards to the chest which makes my breathing difficult. I have consulted a physician about that but he couldn't give me a conclusive declaration. Maybe the abdominal cramp attack is caused by many factors like diet, lack of sleep and over fatigue.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I never had abdominal cramps, but I already had in my feet and legs, and those are not nice. I can't even imagine them on my abs!

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There's lots of things that can cause Abdominal Cramping from Acid Reflux to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and quite a few others.
But If you have No Medical reasons for the Cramping.

Then It could be an Electrolyte Imbalance, Magnesium Deficiency, and, or Dehydration.

So make sure you are staying Properly Hydrated.
If you are not taking a Chelated Magnesium Supplement (better absorption), then start.
As most people are Magnesium Deficient.
And it's responsible for Proper Muscle Contractions, along with over 300 other Enzymatic Functions.

You could also try an Electrolyte Supplement like "40,000 Volts Electrolyte Concentrate" from Trace Minerals.
Very Inexpensive and works great............................................ JP

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Normally, when you are new to working out especially when it's abdominal crunches drills, it actually gives cramps to someone. It happened to me during my first week at the gym but with time, my body adjusted right to the drills and the cramps stopped.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sometimes the muscle could just be fatigued, overused or even injured - but then again, you could be cramping up because you are dehydrated and have low levels of electrolytes such as sodium - take a break and drink some Gatorade or Powerade if this happens.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sometimes the muscle could just be fatigued, overused or even injured - but then again, you could be cramping up because you are dehydrated and have low levels of electrolytes such as sodium - take a break and drink some Gatorade or Powerade if this happens.

This is absolutely true. When you have strained your body too much while working out, there is every possibility of getting to feel some pains all over your body and not just your lower abdominal region.

Taking a time out to rest will be a good idea.