Mecca V.I.P.
    bodybuilding reputation IFBB Hall of Fame's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Why a bodybuilder shouldn’t fast.

Protein Balance- and why it matters.

This actually quite basic information which every bodybuilder should know.
    -
    The maintenance of skeletal muscle tissue is predicated on the dynamic balance of muscle protein synthesis and protein breakdown. The human body is in a constant state of protein turnover (the constant fight between build up and break down) proteins are constantly degraded and resynthesized throughout the course of each day.
    -
    As a bodybuilder you want to stimulate the shit out the protein synthesis and minimize degradation, and by that create a net positive, ‘gain state’.
    -
    Skeletal muscle protein turnover in healthy recreationally active people averages approximately 1.2% a day and exists in dynamic equilibrium; muscle protein breakdown exceeds muscle protein synthesis in the fasted state and muscle protein synthesis exceeds muscle protein breakdown postprandially (during or relating to the period after dinner or lunch) (49)* This is why everything that includes a “fast” is by principle a bad idea for the bodybuilder. -
    The protein balance is also true reason why it’s a bad idea going 5+ hours without any food.
    -
    Worth pointing out (!) eating every 1-2 hours is not only extremely impractical but it’s not beneficial, due to the ‘muscle full effect’.** -
    Simple terms; if you stimulate the MPS properly (ingesting 30-50 grams of protein, your body can easily handle more but for MPS this is sufficient) it stays elevated for about 3-4 hours before returning to baseline. This means you have a chance every 3-4 hours to maximize MPS in order to win the war against protein degradation! -
    MPS=muscle protein synthesis.
    -
    *Atherton, PJ, and Smith, K. Muscle protein synthesis in response to nutrition and exercise. J Physiol. 590: 1049-1057, 2012.
    -
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20844073/**

Similar Bodybuilding Threads:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Check out my Instagram page!
    IFBB HALL OF FAME ⚜️
    The unofficial gallery of the IFBB Hall Of Fame... ⚜️
    Providing the best bodybuilding content on #IG ⚜️
    Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.
    https://www.instagram.com/ifbb_hall_of_fame/

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      musclemecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Supplements, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical, Competition
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

MuscleMecca God
    bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation KaiGold's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Re: Why a bodybuilder shouldn’t fast.

Welcome here! Good read!

The musclemecca bodybuilding news guy

Mecca Maniac bodybuilding reputation Kakashi2020's Avatar
    Weight
    187lbs
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by IFBB Hall of Fame View Post

-
    The maintenance of skeletal muscle tissue is predicated on the dynamic balance of muscle protein synthesis and protein breakdown. The human body is in a constant state of protein turnover (the constant fight between build up and break down) proteins are constantly degraded and resynthesized throughout the course of each day.
    -
    As a bodybuilder you want to stimulate the shit out the protein synthesis and minimize degradation, and by that create a net positive, ‘gain state’.
    -
    Skeletal muscle protein turnover in healthy recreationally active people averages approximately 1.2% a day and exists in dynamic equilibrium; muscle protein breakdown exceeds muscle protein synthesis in the fasted state and muscle protein synthesis exceeds muscle protein breakdown postprandially (during or relating to the period after dinner or lunch) (49)* This is why everything that includes a “fast” is by principle a bad idea for the bodybuilder. -
    The protein balance is also true reason why it’s a bad idea going 5+ hours without any food.
    -
    Worth pointing out (!) eating every 1-2 hours is not only extremely impractical but it’s not beneficial, due to the ‘muscle full effect’.** -
    Simple terms; if you stimulate the MPS properly (ingesting 30-50 grams of protein, your body can easily handle more but for MPS this is sufficient) it stays elevated for about 3-4 hours before returning to baseline. This means you have a chance every 3-4 hours to maximize MPS in order to win the war against protein degradation! -
    -
    *Atherton, PJ, and Smith, K. Muscle protein synthesis in response to nutrition and exercise. J Physiol. 590: 1049-1057, 2012.
    -
    I do agree that when you have achieved a good physique, you should maintain it by eating muscle building food and by working out. You should not fast at this stage because it would affect your muscle integrity and mass. In some cases where a body builder would like to trim down on his weight and muscles then fasting could be an option but I do really think that in these cases it would be much easier to just eat less than undergo fasting.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation Alexandoy's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Let me share what I had read about UFC fighters. An example is former lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez who weighs 190 pounds when not in training. He would shed that weight down to 155 in 3 months. You can guess that he does a lot of fasting. And one week before the weigh-in, he would only take water to further shed off 10 pounds. And after the weigh-in, he would eat a lot to regain that 10 pounds so he would be 165 during fight night. He's not the only one doing that.

Mecca V.I.P.
    bodybuilding reputation IFBB Hall of Fame's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandoy View Post
    Let me share what I had read about UFC fighters. An example is former lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez who weighs 190 pounds when not in training. He would shed that weight down to 155 in 3 months. You can guess that he does a lot of fasting. And one week before the weigh-in, he would only take water to further shed off 10 pounds. And after the weigh-in, he would eat a lot to regain that 10 pounds so he would be 165 during fight night. He's not the only one doing that.

Why BODYBUILDERS shouldnt fast.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation Charlie's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Nobody should fast.

Mecca Maniac bodybuilding reputation jp1234's Avatar
    Weight
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

Great Post, and I agree 100%.

Welcome to the Forum................................. JP
    P.S.
    If a Bodybuilder needs to Cut Fat, there are plenty of ways to do it, without Fasting.
    Such as a Caloric Deficit or Carb-Cycling, just to name 2.

Junior Member bodybuilding reputation
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by IFBB Hall of Fame View Post

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    A normal everyday male should balance between the MPS and MPD to ensure that his physique remains the same. For a bodybuilder, the MPS would obviously have to be more so that he can maintain a nice muscle gain curve. I would suggest that excessive intake of protein be avoided because that would cause allergies as in the case of eggs. What I don't quite understand is why starvation would cause protein degradation. When a person does not eat for a while, the body breaks down the fat in his/her body first. For it to get to a point where the proteins start being broken down, it would have to be a really long starvation period.

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Protein balance can easily be measured by a UUN or BUN test. If you are retaining more nitrogen then you are loosing you are in a positive nitrogen state. For these tests to be accurate they are performed on an empty stomach.

Banned bodybuilding reputation
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I believe that a bodybuilder should not fast. I truly agree with the information shared. It is just like saying, how can a student study well if he is has a hungry stomach. Your mind can't function very well if your stomach is empty. I think the same is true with bodybuilding. How can the muscles be formed if the stomach has nothing to work on.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation Alexandoy's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

One uncle who was into bodybuilding used to tell us to eat often when doing the workout especially when you are lifting weights. The muscles need the food, he said, so it can grow faster if you workout and eat. Of course, there is a rest period before eating after the workout. But don’t let yourself go hungry since the small intestines may be devoured by the big intestines, he said that to scare us.

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

One uncle who was into bodybuilding used to tell us to eat often when doing the workout especially when you are lifting weights. The muscles need the food, he said, so it can grow faster if you workout and eat. Of course, there is a rest period before eating after the workout. But don’t let yourself go hungry since the small intestines may be devoured by the big intestines, he said that to scare us.
    Do you ever actually have anything useful to add that either isn’t outdated and useless or actually makes any sense? Like you can’t be serious with crap that you post.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by KaiGold; 08-30-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation ArnoldS's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Don't come in here being a douchebag.

MuscleMecca God
    bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation KaiGold's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Ds3317 View Post
    Do you ever actually have anything useful to add that either isn’t outdated and useless or actually makes any sense? Like you can’t be serious with crap that you post.

- - - Updated - - -
    Don't judge.

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldS View Post
    I’m not being a douche bag. I’m being serious. From what’s been posted here to a ufc fighter water fasting for a week, to chicken noodle soup and crackers, etc. I mean it’s your forum but when I hear of a forum called musclemecca this nonsense being entertained and taken seriously is not what I would expect.
    Ive looked at almost all his post and not a single one are beneficial.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation ArnoldS's Avatar
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I’m not being a douche bag. I’m being serious. From what’s been posted here to a ufc fighter water fasting for a week, to chicken noodle soup and crackers, etc. I mean it’s your forum but when I hear of a forum called musclemecca this nonsense being entertained and taken seriously is not what I would expect.
    Not my forum. It's not censored here. People post what they want.

MuscleMecca God
    Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

There's some bullshit here but lots of good stuff too. Just ignore the bullshit because the only thing really censored here is spam. Part of the reason this is the only forum I post at these days.

• MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      musclemecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Powerlifting, Weight Training
      Supplements, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

Steroidify

Napsgear

MusclePay

collapse Posting Permissions