• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Tuna Downside

Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

Although Eating Canned Tuna can give us a lot of health benefits, it also has its dangers such as unsafe levels of mercury. Children 6 years old and younger can eat 9oz max of tuna a month. While a 200lb man can eat 3 cans of tuna in a week. Pregnant women on the other hand are not adviced to eat tuna as per FDA due to the dangers of mercury.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tuna has mercury? Then most fish has mercury? What foods don't have pollution in them?

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Wild salmon and canned mackerel are low in mercury and high in omega 3. I take them sometimes instead of canned tuna.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
We have canned tuna in vegetable oil which we eat for breakfast sometimes. As like the other canned goods in our food cabinet, the canned tuna is for emergency purposes only. We were advised by the physician in the family to avoid eating too much canned food because of the preservatives that it contains. It's always better to eat fresh meat and fish. But as i had posted in another thread, fresh tuna is very expensive here that's why we just suffice with the canned tuna.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wild salmon and canned mackerel are low in mercury and high in omega 3. I take them sometimes instead of canned tuna.

I love salmon, but where I live there is not much canned salmon, so I stick to tuna most of the time.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some other downsides to eating canned tuna is the sodium or salt intake, so eating to much tuna can cause bloating and high blood pressure as well. Each can of tuna contains about 30 grams of protein and a modest amount of omega-3 fatty acids which are good for your hair and healthy skin as well. Also be careful with the mercury in tuna, and try to eat no more than 3 cans a week.

jp1234

jp1234

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you want to have Less Mercury in your Tuna.

Then stay away from Albacore, it has the Highest Mercury content, cause it's a Larger Species of Tuna.

Skip Jack Tuna has the Least as it's a Smaller Species of Tuna, and has on average, 3 times Less Mercury than White Albacore.

If you are trying to avoid high amounts of Sodium, then Buy Water Packed Tuna vs Oil Packed.
Oil Packed Tuna can have up to 840 Mg of Salt per 3 Oz.

Whereas Water Packed Tuna only has 210 Mg per 3 Oz.

I personally buy "Trader Joe's Skipjack Tuna", it's Packed in Water, with Sea Salt added.
An entire 5 Oz Can only has 360 Mg of Sodium...…………………………. JP