Lifting heavy weights can make you slow
Your first visit?
Register

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation Alexandoy's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Lifting heavy weights can make you slow

This was one topic that was discussed on a radio program sometime last week. That an athlete becomes slower in his movement when he is lifting heavy weights. The example is a boxer who is quick. But he becomes slower when he started lifting weights to get muscles in his preparation to enter the wrestling world. Do you think it is really true but barbells can make you slower?

Similar Bodybuilding Threads:

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      musclemecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Supplements, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical, Competition
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation to7update's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Re: Lifting heavy weights can make you slow

The more muscle we have, the slower we might be because we are heavier too. If speed is the goal, heavyweight lifting is not the best workout.

MuscleMecca Sponsors
    bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation macedog24's Avatar
    Height
    6'
    Weight
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandoy View Post
    This was one topic that was discussed on a radio program sometime last week. That an athlete becomes slower in his movement when he is lifting heavy weights. The example is a boxer who is quick. But he becomes slower when he started lifting weights to get muscles in his preparation to enter the wrestling world. Do you think it is really true but barbells can make you slower?
    Not necessarily true!
    Many people train for strength and are lean! Quick, fast! If your becoming Big and bulky thats a different story. Size can definitely hinder speed!

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation Heatman's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I have to disagree with the discussion on the radio about gaining muscle making one to be slow. Remember gaining muscle is purely different from getting fat. Muscles don't make you slow but too much of it can slow you down a bit, that one I can agree to. I have seen some people with good muscle but are still very fast, it's more of training yourself to be fast with sprint exercises.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation Folk Artist's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

When it comes to lifting weights there is a lengthening and a shortening process to a muscle, and as long as the athlete completes all the reps using a full range of motion, the muscle is suppose to remain the proper length. So I see that technique is extremely important when lifting, and lifting heavy weights will not make a athlete slow and bulky, like a lot of people think.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bodybuilding reputation to7update's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

It's all subjective obviously, and depends on the kind of muscles we develop, but usually the more weight, the slower one is.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatman View Post
    I have to disagree with the discussion on the radio about gaining muscle making one to be slow. Remember gaining muscle is purely different from getting fat. Muscles don't make you slow but too much of it can slow you down a bit, that one I can agree to. I have seen some people with good muscle but are still very fast, it's more of training yourself to be fast with sprint exercises.

Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation Heatman's Avatar
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by to7update View Post
    It's all subjective obviously, and depends on the kind of muscles we develop, but usually the more weight, the slower one is.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatman View Post
    I think that a clear differentiation should be made on gaining weight and gaining muscles. They might seem similar but they are practically different. Gaining weight will definitely make one slow but gaining muscles won't from how I have seen it till today.

• MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      musclemecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Powerlifting, Weight Training
      Supplements, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

collapse Posting Permissions