• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Running with weights

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I had seen on tv the practice of the Iron Man race participants. One contestant had weights on his waist and was holding a dumbbell on each hand while doing the run. Even if the pace is just like fast jogging, I know that the weights would have a strong effect on the body particularly for the muscles. But does that method improve the stamina or the weights make the runner become slower?

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I used to train with ankle weights quite a bit when I was playing basketball in high school, and I would go for a hike in the woods, and also run and jump while wearing them also. I really enjoyed my ankle weights workout and they made me jump higher and this really helped me out, so yes they do increase athletic performance. You do burn slightly more calories as well when you wear them- so yes, wearing ankle weights can really help you build muscle and strength as well.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think that it's more like helping one to improve on one's athletic abilities. Those weights serves like impediments to the person wearing them but as you get used to doing the runs and jump with the added weight, once it's removed, you will improve twice as much from doing the runs and jump without the weight. Take for instance, you can jump 7 feet high up the ground with the weight attached to your body, but without the weight, you can be able to jump 10 feet high.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

I am sure the runner becomes slower with weights on. I do not see any reason why it will help you to improve stamina as all it does is add the extra weight. If I am jogging with, let's say an additional 20Kg on me, I might stop after two minutes or so. It is tough.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am sure the runner becomes slower with weights on. I do not see any reason why it will help you to improve stamina as all it does is add the extra weight. If I am jogging with, let's say an additional 20Kg on me, I might stop after two minutes or so. It is tough.

You are absolutely correct with that assertion on running being slower with weights tied to the legs and arms. In fact, it gets more difficult and painful moving with the weights but it's definitely going to make you get stronger with strong legs.

Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I believe that it does increase stamina over time especially when you are not carrying the load. Additionally any time we push our muscles beyond what they are used to carrying they grow. In the military the typical soldier will carry and train with a ruck sac that weighs appx. 60 lbs unless they are part of an extended patrol then that weight could double. At first many soldiers will struggle with the added weight but over time as they train with it it becomes easier. Increased muscle mass and stamina? I would say that’s a good bet.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I believe that it does increase stamina over time especially when you are not carrying the load. Additionally any time we push our muscles beyond what they are used to carrying they grow. In the military the typical soldier will carry and train with a ruck sac that weighs appx. 60 lbs unless they are part of an extended patrol then that weight could double. At first many soldiers will struggle with the added weight but over time as they train with it it becomes easier. Increased muscle mass and stamina? I would say that’s a good bet.

Exactly, and it helps improves one's agility as well. I normally get my little cousin to lay on my back when I'm doing press up. It is just like running with weights attached to your legs and arms.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Exactly, and it helps improves one's agility as well. I normally get my little cousin to lay on my back when I'm doing press up. It is just like running with weights attached to your legs and arms.

I now understand, and it somehow makes sense. However, how can one increase his stamina just by adding extra weights on? If I think about it, it's like getting used to the added weight, then when you do it without the weights, it becomes much easier. Is that how it is?

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I now understand, and it somehow makes sense. However, how can one increase his stamina just by adding extra weights on? If I think about it, it's like getting used to the added weight, then when you do it without the weights, it becomes much easier. Is that how it is?

Yes, it's something like that. When you do the drills easier with the added weight, when you are faced with a drill which requires lesser energy to pull off, it's going to be an easy task for you to carry out. It's just like increasing your weight lifting, the more you increase the weight size you lift, going back the less size weight will be a very easy task for you to do.