• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Planking for your Abs

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Download

I watched a video that says this exercise helps in shaping and working out your abs (alongside proper diet). All you have to do is hold this position for a matter of seconds every day. Make it a point to increase the duration every single day to get the best results.

Is this effective? Anyone who has tried this out?

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes, planks are very effective when you want to work on your abs. It may look easy but let me break it to you that it's very hard to stay in that plank position for 2 minutes straight. It's better to go at it either in 30 seconds session under 2 minutes overall time.

I do both elbow planks and full arm push up position plank. It's very effective for abs development.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Yes, planks are very effective when you want to work on your abs. It may look easy but let me break it to you that it's very hard to stay in that plank position for 2 minutes straight. It's better to go at it either in 30 seconds session under 2 minutes overall time.

I do both elbow planks and full arm push up position plank. It's very effective for abs development.

I see. Would you say you would notice results after two weeks doing such kind of exercise? I might try this out.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I first heard of that word from my niece. Her problem was her tummy and she said that planking makes her tummy muscles stronger. Even if she doesn't have abs but at least there is no bulge in her middle. I haven't tried it yet but since I am doing push up in the morning then probably it is a good idea to try planking. Anyway my problem with my tummy is the bulge although it is still manageable for now.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I see. Would you say you would notice results after two weeks doing such kind of exercise? I might try this out.

For the first two weeks all I can guarantee that you will be able to to feel is pains in your forearm and abdominal muscles. The plank drill definitely works but it's not that too fast if you are doing it alone. Try and combine it with crunches.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

For the first two weeks all I can guarantee that you will be able to to feel is pains in your forearm and abdominal muscles. The plank drill definitely works but it's not that too fast if you are doing it alone. Try and combine it with crunches.

I see. I'll try that out. I hope I can get good results within a month. Thanks, my friend.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I see. I'll try that out. I hope I can get good results within a month. Thanks, my friend.

If you are very consistent within a month of doing the plank and crunches drills for abs muscles, I'm very convinced that you are going to witness a good change in your abs.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

That would be great as I will be engaging in a couple of sexy time with someone these coming months, LOL.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That would be great as I will be engaging in a couple of sexy time with someone these coming months, LOL.

Haha, you are working on your abs to impress your lady? It's cool actually if you can achieve it because from my observations, girls love a guy with abs, big forearms and wider chest.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Haha, you are working on your abs to impress your lady? It's cool actually if you can achieve it because from my observations, girls love a guy with abs, big forearms and wider chest.

She is not my lady yet, but I think it might go that way. Best to be prepared than sorry, right? LOL.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

She is not my lady yet, but I think it might go that way. Best to be prepared than sorry, right? LOL.

It's obvious that you believe that she is attracted to men with good body structure and abs which is why you are working hard to build your body.

Anyways good luck mate and I hope your workout pays off.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

It's obvious that you believe that she is attracted to men with good body structure and abs which is why you are working hard to build your body.

According to her, she loves a guy who is SMEXY, a term meaning smart and sexy. I can work out to have abs, but I am not sure if I can get more intelligent in time though. I'll shoot you a PM and let you know, haha. Thanks, man.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

According to her, she loves a guy who is SMEXY, a term meaning smart and sexy. I can work out to have abs, but I am not sure if I can get more intelligent in time though. I'll shoot you a PM and let you know, haha. Thanks, man.

Alright mate, I will be waiting to hear how you progressed with the planks and crunches for your abs workout, hopefully you are going meet and get your girl.

I hope that you have been consistent with the planking because if you are not, it's definitely going to be hard to get any desired effects as soon as possible.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

To give an update, I've done planking for 60 days for 5 minutes a day. I also eat one meal a day too. Somehow, I feel I have an improvement, so I will continue to do this for the next 60 days as well. I would like to have poster abs before I go on a trip.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Definitely, planks are the best workout drill one can focus on in order to get the best out of time dedicated to working out. There are other drills that can help with abs development but planks are the safest means to use. There have been many complaints about back pains with sit ups and crunches but with planks, you don't experience such.

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You have to make sure that you clench your abs and butt muscles like Scott Herman says. If all you do is stabilize yourself without firmly clenching those muscles as tightly as you can, it doesn't do very much good at all.

Without cleansing those muscles, I actually consider being in a push-up plank to be a rest position. I can do that indefinitely. But once I clench the ABS and butt muscles, that's when I can only do it for a minute or less.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You have to make sure that you clench your abs and butt muscles like Scott Herman says. If all you do is stabilize yourself without firmly clenching those muscles as tightly as you can, it doesn't do very much good at all.

Without cleansing those muscles, I actually consider being in a push-up plank to be a rest position. I can do that indefinitely. But once I clench the ABS and butt muscles, that's when I can only do it for a minute or less.

You are absolutely correct with that assertion on making sure that you get your positioning well when taking plank drills. Once you fail to take the form well, there is no way of getting the best result out of the drills as it will would be 80% waste of time, energy and effort.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To give an update, I've done planking for 60 days for 5 minutes a day. I also eat one meal a day too. Somehow, I feel I have an improvement, so I will continue to do this for the next 60 days as well. I would like to have poster abs before I go on a trip.

Consistency is what matters so much with any kind of workouts. At long as you are willing to go at it every day without taking long periods of time off will definitely help you achieve your goals sooner than later.

Abs are hard to develop but commitment helps so much in getting it done faster.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

Consistency is what matters so much with any kind of workouts. At long as you are willing to go at it every day without taking long periods of time off will definitely help you achieve your goals sooner than later.

Another update. I stopped doing the exercise two weeks ago as I got busy with other things but I think all is well and my abs are holding up. Not getting bigger and flabbier which is a good thing. Thanks for your inputs, I highly appreciate it.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Another update. I stopped doing the exercise two weeks ago as I got busy with other things but I think all is well and my abs are holding up. Not getting bigger and flabbier which is a good thing. Thanks for your inputs, I highly appreciate it.

Staying away from exercising for two weeks isn't that too long. If you have been very dedicated to your workouts, taking two weeks time out wouldn't have any negative impact on your body.