• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Soleus strains and calf injuries: What to know

Bodybuilding News

Bodybuilding News

The soleus is a calf muscle that is essential for a variety of daily activities, such as standing, running, and balancing. In this article, learn about the different grades of soleus strain and how a person can treat them with gentle stretches and first aid. We also cover other calf injuries and when to see a doctor.

What is a soleus strain?
soleus strain causing calf pain in person outdoors in running clothes with leg on bench holding calf.
The soleus is a muscle in the calf that plays a part in walking and running.
Soleus injuries are relatively common in runners. This type of injury is known as an overuse injury, which is why endurance and long-distance runners are at higher risk.

Injuries commonly occur as a result of fatigue or overtraining. They can also happen when the knee is flexed for a long time while running, such as during uphill running.

Other calf injuries, including gastrocnemius strains, are more common in athletes who sprint, including tennis players.

Click here to view the full article.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I had my first calf injury when I was kicked very hard on the calf muscle playing football. It was very painful as the muscles contracts and expand especially when I'm trying to walk.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My wife has a problem with her right calf. When she engages in a strenuous physical activity particularly when involving the feet, a bulge appears on her right calf. And even if the pain is tolerable that it will vanish in 2 or 3 days of resting, it is still alarming. The doctor did not recommend anything except the advice to avoid heavy physical activities.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
My wife has a problem with her right ca lf. When she engages in a strenuous physical activity particularly when involving the feet, a bulge appears on her right calf. And even if the pain is tolerable that it will vanish in 2 or 3 days of resting, it is still alarming. The doctor did not recommend anything except the advice to avoid heavy physical activities.

A very good massage therapy works well in reliving calf strain pains. It's the muscle of the calf that is inflammated which makes it pains so horribly. The advice of the doctor is also a good idea because it would definitely help with stopping the reoccurrence of the calf injury again.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Also you have different degree's of the injury to the calf muscles - a first degree strain involves damage to just a few muscle fibers, the second degree strain means damage to a more extensive group. The third is a complete rupture of the muscle. To prevent calf injury, make sure to warm up 20 minutes prior to matches or training to improve your flexibility, also do some cool down activities. Make sure to eat right and do your strength training to prevent calf strains as well.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Also you have different degree's of the injury to the calf muscles - a first degree strain involves damage to just a few muscle fibers, the second degree strain means damage to a more extensive group. The third is a complete rupture of the muscle. To prevent calf injury, make sure to warm up 20 minutes prior to matches or training to improve your flexibility, also do some cool down activities. Make sure to eat right and do your strength training to prevent calf strains as well.

Exactly! The degrees of calf injuries and any other injuries differ based on how such injuries were sustained. This is actually the reason why once one get injured, the individual will be sidelined immediately in order to avoid making it worst. Although, there are some people who push themselves to workout through the pains but it's not a wise thing to do.