• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Muscle Fatigue

• Thread starter MuscleMecca Crew
  • Start date
MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew
Staff
Author
Lou Ferrigno
You are here at musclemecca reading this so you are interested in bodybuilding. If you are not only interested in bodybuilding but are trying to be a bodybuilder then you need to know this stuff! Muscle Fatigue and soreness are part of the sport and have to be mastered.

Deep Muscle Soreness And Body-Shock Fatigue
By Marty Gallagher

In my experience there are two distinct types of muscular fatigue associated with intense progressive resistance training (only intense training is sufficient to trigger muscle hypertrophy) and these two types should be recognized and understood. The first type of fatigue is direct muscle soreness and is the result of a particular exercise targeting a specific muscle. Scientists are at odds as to the exact cause of muscle soreness but most believe that it is associated with some sort of cellular micro-trauma. Direct muscle soreness is usually the type of pain and discomfort that most folks experience when they begin serious progressive resistance training programs.

There are varying degrees of muscle soreness and sometimes the intensity of soreness can become so severe as to be debilitating. The muscles are sore to the touch. I have self-induced this type of soreness to every degree on every muscle - once, as a 14-year-old novice, I found a 10-pound solid dumbbell and proceeded to do 50 repetitions in the one-arm curl for each arm every hour on the hour for 10-straight hours. It seemed like a cool idea to my young and dumb mind but that went out the window the next day when both arms locked up to such a degree that I could not straighten my arms. Both biceps were so traumatized that they remained involuntarily contracted for the next 36 hours. My hands were held at my face and any attempt to straighten my arms resulted in excruciating pain. I had to ride it out until the biceps relaxed. This was an extreme example of muscle fatigue but extremely illustrative of this 1st type of muscle soreness/fatigue.

The second type of muscular fatigue is what I would describe as overall fatigue, I call it body shock. The body is a holistic unit and hard intense training done for long periods has a cumulative effect. After a while, a uniform sense of overall fatigue is experienced manifested by an overwhelming sensation of tiredness. This tiredness envelops the whole body. When in the throes of body shock it seems as if you are moving through water. In my experience, this type of fatigue is a direct result of an accumulation of intense workouts. Fatigue and soreness come with the territory and if you never experience either version, likely you'll not make any significant physical progress.

In my experience, if I don't feel some degree of muscle soreness in the target muscle after a workout I become suspicious that I didn't work hard enough or the exercise I selected was technically deficient and spread the muscular effect over too wide an area. In this respect, I use controlled soreness (not too much, not too little) as a workout report card. When it comes to body-shock fatigue, to my way of thinking a much more serious type of fatigue, I will cut back on my training and kick up my calories, particularly my protein intake. When body shock descends training through it is a bad idea: first, training poundage plummets (so what's the point?) and secondly, there is a very real danger of fatigue-induced injury.

If you experience severe muscular soreness of the 1st type, avoid training that particular body part until the soreness reduces to tolerable levels. If body shock envelops you cease progressive resistance training and kick up the food intake. I have found that light to moderate cardio helps to dissipate muscle soreness. Accelerating circulation within a sore muscle stimulates recovery, assuming the resistance used is light, easy, and not taxing. Use your common sense and be aware that even purposeful primitives paid heed to fatigue.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes, when people try to push themselves to far, without adequate time to rest and recover, this muscle fatique can happen when these muscles do not repair themselves and grow stronger. Also people forget about nutrient deficiency which can cause muscle fatique as well- in order for muscles to function as they should, the body requires a number of essential vitamins, minerals and electrolytes which it cannot produce naturally. These need to come from whole food sources, supplements and drinks.

C

Concentrix

It is pretty normal to have sore muscles from working out because you did something your body is not used to like jogging a few miles or doing an exercise intensely or do something unusual which lengthen the muscle like extending your arm during a bicep curl. Changes in exercise routine lead to tiny injuries in muscle fiber and connective tissue. However, doing the same activity make your muscles get used to it thereby getting no soreness or less soreness. However, we should learn when to stop and rest to allow our body to slowly restore our muscles to flush out waste products, which is responsible for increasing acidity in muscles that lead to pain.

B

Bahustrong

Bodybuilding is a lifestyle, that should focus on balance and trying to build a holistic physique. It is bad to just punish the body without giving it any time for recovery. Recovery is as important as any training. After a good rest, the body can train better and can build better muscles. If the body is constantly fatiqued, it would increase the level of cortizone level in the body and would result in muscle loss and bad temper. Train hard, rest, recover and repeat.