• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Is yoga mainly for women?

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Many at times, it would seem that it's most women that engages in yoga exercises more often than man. Is there any particular reason why most men shy away from taking up yoga exercises or is it to feminine rooted?

Push50

Push50

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think that is a misconception based on the fact that yoga is considered a lighter exercise associated with flexibility and not strength.
Western yoga tends to be more about breathing, focus, meditation and relaxation.
Look into Bikram Yoga. This type utilizes 26 different poses that require lengthy, forceful and well controlled contractions of all major muscle groups.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think because most yoga studios are filled with women, so they dominate for some reason, and that would make you feel a bit out of place. Also most men look at yoga as not to macho, and men like their cardio more than flexibility, besides some are not to flexible, so that pretty much rules yoga out for them. A popular reason would be that guys have probably tried yoga, and said never again!

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think because most yoga studios are filled with women, so they dominate for some reason, and that would make you feel a bit out of place. Also most men look at yoga as not to macho, and men like their cardio more than flexibility, besides some are not to flexible, so that pretty much rules yoga out for them. A popular reason would be that guys have probably tried yoga, and said never again!

Definitely, I have seen some men who actively practice yoga exercises and they are very good at it. But on a more general note, yoga is carried out mainly by women. If you conduct a survey of how many people who do yoga, it would be obvious that more women do yoga than men.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know of people who are into yoga and they are a mix of men and women. My take on the reason why there are more women who are engaged in yoga sessions is because some of them do not want to build up muscles but they want to have the strength. Yoga is mainly for the mind but it can also help in the physical development. And maybe there is a sort of fraternity among yoga practitioners that are mostly led by women.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know of people who are into yoga and they are a mix of men and women. My take on the reason why there are more women who are engaged in yoga sessions is because some of them do not want to build up muscles but they want to have the strength. Yoga is mainly for the mind but it can also help in the physical development. And maybe there is a sort of fraternity among yoga practitioners that are mostly led by women.

Exactly! Building one's fitness and energy levels are the main reason why most people get into yoga. Also it's believed that yoga helps with mind development, focus and concentration.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think that is a misconception based on the fact that yoga is considered a lighter exercise associated with flexibility and not strength.
Western yoga tends to be more about breathing, focus, meditation and relaxation.
Look into Bikram Yoga. This type utilizes 26 different poses that require lengthy, forceful and well controlled contractions of all major muscle groups.

Bikram Yoga is a very difficult one. I was amazed by how many pose yoga drills it comprises of which are not easy. In fact, it's a complete total misconception about the nature of the yoga exercises being linked to female exercises alone. Not all men can even effectively execute those yoga pose.

to7update

to7update

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are many types of yoga and these can be both for men and women, even if these days more women seem to be doing it.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are many types of yoga and these can be both for men and women, even if these days more women seem to be doing it.

Exactly! Actually, I had the impression at first that it's only women that takes part in practicing yoga exercises but I was wrong and I'm glad to discover that there are far more difficult yoga drills that even women would find difficult to execute.