• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Long distance runner finished the race by crawling

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It was actually a long distance relay race. Japanese runner Rei Iida tripped and injured her foot that she couldn't run anymore but she continued moving on all fours for the last 200 meters of her segment just to finish her part of the relay. It was sad that the coach had withdrawn from the race despite the efforts of Iida who had fractured her right leg. That means her effort in crawling to finish the race was futile.

acehealth001

acehealth001

Banned
I remember a story that our headmaster in grade school told us about a goal keeper in lightning football whose pants ripped off and fell to the ground leaving him nothing covered from the torso down. But instead of covering himself up or calling for a time out he continued to play and guard his goal until everything was safe. This kind of playing is beyond the rules but is telling of how sports build in us positive qualities like commitment and heroism over and above sportsmanship.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I remember a story that our headmaster in grade school told us about a goal keeper in lightning football whose pants ripped off and fell to the ground leaving him nothing covered from the torso down. But instead of covering himself up or calling for a time out he continued to play and guard his goal until everything was safe. This kind of playing is beyond the rules but is telling of how sports build in us positive qualities like commitment and heroism over and above sportsmanship.

You are right with the heroism that some athletes would go to the extent that is beyond their responsibilities just to play game with excellence. Even in mixed martial arts, there are fighters who say that they were prepared to be mauled by the opponent just to give the audience a good fight. There was one fighter named O'Malley who had broken his leg in the middle of the last round but tried his best to finish the fight because he was winning. When the bell rang that signaled the end of the last round, O'Malley couldn't stand anymore and he was proclaimed winner while lying prostrate on the canvas.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

That's a great story. And it just shows the dedication and the commitment of the man towards his job. What he did tells a lot about him not only in sports but also in life. If I met him outside of the playing field and I have a business, and he is looking for part-time work may be, I'll instantly hire him on the spot.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This shows a lot of character as far as this girl(Rei Ida) goes to cross the finish line. This reminds of the 84 Olympics when Zola Budd and Mary Decker got tangled up, and Mary Decker went down- but she never crawled to the finish line.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

This shows a lot of character as far as this girl(Rei Ida) goes to cross the finish line. This reminds of the 84 Olympics when Zola Budd and Mary Decker got tangled up, and Mary Decker went down- but she never crawled to the finish line.

Is the incident purely intentional? It's hard to tell from the angle and might be an accident. But significant stake is on the line since it's the Olympics so tough luck.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A great level of commitment and dedication to the sports is the only thing that would make such athlete to go to such extreme extent in order to show the level of her professionalism. Not everyone can do such. Even though her coach had already withdrawn from the competition, it still showed her great character and bravery.

Ps: I would fire the coach if I was in her shoes.

G

GuestHu

Banned
Such a tragic story. But at least despite on what the coach did to her, the world saw her story that inspired them and showed deep respect to her for being determined and having a great personality in overcoming an obstacle. Her efforts seem futile but the world saw it amazing.

sweerie_banana

sweerie_banana

That is sheer determination and passion for for what she enjoys doing. I wish we could practice such zeal in all that we put our minds into.

Jason_ke

Jason_ke

It was actually a long distance relay race. Japanese runner Rei Iida tripped and injured her foot that she couldn't run anymore but she continued moving on all fours for the last 200 meters of her segment just to finish her part of the relay. It was sad that the coach had withdrawn from the race despite the efforts of Iida who had fractured her right leg. That means her effort in crawling to finish the race was futile.
Pretty sad actually. Teaches us that we should never give up. Even when our friends and relative have given up on us. Or we fell like our body is giving up on us. We should soldier on to the finish line.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff