• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

The Women's Bodybuilding Division.

Zillagraybeard

Zillagraybeard

fitnesscompetition-1.jpg

As you're probably aware, I'm a major lover of physique-based sports, and there's no better place to participate than the NPC and the IFBB Pro League. Fitness is very important in today's environment, from sports to health to increasing mental well-being. Even the mainstream media has shifted its perspective, giving the gym, healthy eating, and even sports-based, natural supplements a fresh new face. Taking control of one's life is important for many people, but for others, watching their bodies alter in the mirror isn't enough. There comes a moment when people want to put on a suit, stand among the finest in their city, state, and occasionally even country, and be evaluated by a panel of judges who may choose the best.

Each of the three divisions attracts a good number of participants for the men, but it's a different story for the ladies.

The Bikini Division is the most popular, especially among ladies who are just starting out lifting and eating clean. Figure is the second most popular and attracts a good mix of somewhat more muscular competitors; it's also a good spot for women who desire to bulk up. Women's Physique ranks third, but that's not saying much. In terms of competitor entries, the dip from Bikini to Figure is obvious, but the reduction from Figure to Women's Physique is tremendous. Women's Fitness and Women's Bodybuilding are, at best, on life support on a local and regional level. However, this article isn't about the amount of competitors. What I'd want to do is go through each division and provide my opinion. Is there a division that I prefer? To discover out, I guess you'll have to read the article.

Women's Bodybuilding is the first and most important division. This division began it all and remains one of my favorites. Yaxeni Oriquen, Ms. Olympia in 2005, is my favorite champion. She's my favorite since she's Latina, a mother, and has worked diligently her entire life. She began as a fashion model before discovering her passion for weight training and competition. Many of the top female bodybuilders never imagined they'd look like that, but they fell madly in love with the sport. Many outstanding winners in the division have pushed women to lift and feel good about themselves. Unfortunately, there are some idiot males who think these girls are "too muscular," but those same morons will pay top dollar for an autograph. Anyone who like bodybuilding will appreciate it on both men and women since it is all about muscle, conditioning, and symmetry.

Women's Bodybuilding has kept the course as well; its competitors are diehards who refuse to give up and walk away. Despite the efforts of naysayers to bury it, the sport is having a revival. Once again, brave/innovative contest organizers are offering it, and the press is slowly but steadily catching on. It's a work in progress, but I'm convinced the category will return - even at the Arnold and Olympia!

Women's fitness, on the other hand, is dying on a local and regional scale. Sometimes having only one rival is a blessing; nevertheless, more often than not, the quality is subpar, and the fact that so many females are becoming nationally qualified (by default) is taking its toll at the national level.

Fitness is unlike any other classification - for men or women - in that it is not exclusively dependent on body. Fitness competitors, like Figure competitors, must be keyed in, but they must also construct and execute a very brutally demanding program. These routines also need a background in dance, gymnastics, and for some, ballet. Everything comes together to create a genuinely entertaining and creative presentation.

Unfortunately, an athlete on a restricted calorie diet cannot expect to perform intricate, strenuous workout programs without some danger. Injuries are widespread, and the body is subjected to great stressors despite only having very weak calories and, at times, a lack of rest. Without a doubt, this is the most tough of the five women's categories. Having said that, it's also a popular fan favorite, since the routines provide a lot of excitement to a competition. Unfortunately, the future of fitness at the municipal and regional levels is uncertain. Yes, it's significant on a national and professional level, but if the bottom is pulled out, there will be no national or professional level to speak of.

Ladies's Physique is a fantastic class that has offered muscular women the opportunity to compete on the sport's greatest stages. It's available at both the Arnold Classic and the Olympia, but aside from a few athletes I truly admire, I'm not a big fan of WPD. Although I'm sure it wasn't intended to further marginalize Women's Bodybuilding, I believe that's precisely what occurred. The Division itself got off to a rocky start, with the initial reign of Ms. WPD Olympia Dana Linn Bailey generating a lot of fan interest and media attention. DLB was an excellent ambassador, but she had little chance of beating Juliana Malacarne. Juliana buried DLB and ruled the sport until she decided to quit. The Arnold underwent a significant transformation under Juliana, and media interest virtually vanished. Many of the wonderful women who competed with DLB didn't last much longer after she left. The spotlight has vanished.

Also, several female bodybuilders went down to WPD, expecting to have a field day, only to find out that they got some really bad placings. I believe this was due to the fact that many of the previous Women Bodybuilders came in scaled-down physiques, having lost significant quantities of muscle, and were competing against girls who trained from the ground up with the WPD appearance as their ultimate aim.

I've always enjoyed figures. It's a great appearance for the contestants; there's some muscle, some definition, and the stances are really smart and professional. The clothes are stunning, and the contestants are usually in excellent shape. This is a popular category at all levels, attracting a lot of favorable attention and sponsorships.

The bikini is by far the most popular! The bikinis themselves are continuously changed, with designers displaying their limitless ingenuity. The supplement business adores the division, and several of its winners have gone on to lucrative careers in fitness modeling and even acting. The disadvantage is that because there are so many competitors, going pro is quite difficult. I know what you're thinking - it's probably the polar opposite of what I just stated - but you're incorrect. While there are several events where pro cards may be acquired in Bikini, the sheer number of participants makes that achievement incredibly challenging. Physically, the category is an excellent entry point for the mass market, allowing women from all walks of life to compete.

Overall, I believe my favorite division is quite apparent; yet, each level has a lot to offer. I hope that prospective competitors do their research and choose a category based on what they enjoy, not what's popular, and particularly not on what sexist jerks say. WE ONLY HAVE ONE LIFE, SO LIVE IT!