• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Are supplements harmful?

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew

MuscleMecca Crew
Staff
Author
Flex
My thinking on bodybuilding supplements being harmful is that yes, if abused they are harmful. If used in moderation and carefully then I do not believe them to be harmful. That is my 2 cents on this topic but read the article and form your own opinion.

Association dismisses claims of harm in dietary supplements, says ‘unsubstantiated’
NATION
Wednesday, 28 Nov 2018

4:20 PM MYT
by mei mei chu

PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Dietary Supplement Association (Madsa) has dismissed claims that dietary supplements may be harmful to consumer health.

Its president Muthu Kumar Shanmunghom called doctors' claims that traditional and complementary medicine were causing high incidences of liver disease in Malaysia were “unsubstantiated”.

He said it was “mere conjecture” and “unscientific” to include dietary supplements as a potential cause of liver failure. Hence without firm evidence, making such a claim is unwarranted.”

“There are hundreds of clinical studies that have been published in top tier medical journals, attesting to the effectiveness of dietary supplements in many diseases and conditions,” he said in a statement Wednesday (Nov 28).

The Star reported on Monday (Nov 26) that poor regulations on traditional and complementary medicine have led to potentially harmful and dubious products entering the market.

The exclusive report revealed data from Hospital Selayang, which is the national tertiary referral centre for liver diseases, that showed that 42% of drug-induced acute liver failure cases from 2001 to 2017 was possibly due to traditional and complementary medicine, including dietary supplements.

Muthu Kumar however said that Madsa recommends consumers purchase supplements from reputable brands and always notify their doctors of any they are taking to avoid harmful interactions, which may occur in “rare instances”.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Blackmores Institute said pharmacists do not receive formal training in the area of complementary medicine during their degree programme, leading to a knowledge gap.

“This gap needs to be addressed, as we see more Malaysians opt for natural supplements and our most accessible healthcare professionals (pharmacists) should be able to adequately assess them on this,” she said.

The spokesperson added that Blackmores Institute and the Malaysian Pharmaceutical Society have collaborated to provide pharmacists with a Complementary Medicine Education (CMEd) certification for their knowledge of vitamins, minerals, nutritional oils and herbal medicines.

“Consulting a CMEd accredited pharmacist will help consumers make informed choices about not only improving their health but also capitalising on supplements to alleviate any side effects faced, as opposed to causing adverse effects,” said Koo Chan Yee, a CMEd-accredited pharmacist.

Source

Last edited:
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't think supplements for building muscles are not really harmful because they wouldn't be used if there is danger in taking supplements for the purpose of body building. But some people may be overusing the supplements or taking it wrongly. But generally if the prescription is followed there is no risk.

ArmStrong

ArmStrong

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Everything is bad if you do too much.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The question should be on the harmful effects of abuse of body building supplements. It's definitely going to be harmful on the long run when it's abused.

Too much of everything or anything someone does is very bad for someone's health.

NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja

I don't think supplements for building muscles are not really harmful because they wouldn't be used if there is danger in taking supplements for the purpose of body building. But some people may be overusing the supplements or taking it wrongly. But generally if the prescription is followed there is no risk.
I agree with this one. I'm sure pharma companies did their job by doing proper medical research before launching a product to the market. Just make sure you stick to the appropriate dosage and get the ones who have the Bureau of food and drugs seal, or something like that.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In healthy people these supplements, or what scientists refer to as nutraceuticals or functional foods are basically harmeless- but be careful if you have health problems already though.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In healthy people these supplements, or what scientists refer to as nutraceuticals or functional foods are basically harmeless- but be careful if you have health problems already though.

If it's just food supplements, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking them.

I have been taking mine for years now and I have never had any problems at all.

A

Athanas

Since supplements are nutrients compressed together, there is likelihood of over nutrition.

scottroger411

scottroger411

Supplements are not harm full. Some Companies make Fake and harm full supplements so don't use fake supplements i will tell you where from i purchased supplements with discount. I purchased some supplements from Syntrax and ThermoLife they give me 5% discount on each order then i found RARI Nutrition on internet I ordered 5 supplements. before placing order they provide me RARI Nutrition promo code of 35% OFF and i got same supplements on 35% discount.

Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Supplements are not harmful. But if you take them everyday without eating well then it will be unhealthy. In addition, your body could get addicted to them because they are like drugs.

Supplements should be taken under medical advice.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
C

Charles

Many supplements include active substances with potent biological effects. This may put them in danger in particular instances, as well as harm or complicate your health.