• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Olympic medals from recycled metal

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The organizing committee of the Tokyo Olympics is bent on using recycled metal for producing the Olympic medals. There will be 5,000 medals to be made for the gold, silver and bronze winners. The innovative production of Olympic medals is in line with the conservation and environmental concern of Japan. The people behind the idea are hoping that future Olympics will follow their move.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It seems like a good idea because it obviously seem to be the best way to minimize the cost of making these medals from raw gold, silver and bronze.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is very green of them to recycle and focus on sustainability at the upcoming summer games, coming up in Tokyo in 2020. These Gold, Silver, and Bronze metals will be made out of recycled electronics, such as cell phones and computers.

C

Caguioa747

Banned
Assuming the medals are made of the rare earth metals in electronics (e.g. gold), those materials would almost certainly have been recycled anyhow. This is kind of just posturing, considering the Olympics actually generate a huge amount of waste. Entire stadiums have been built for single events and then left to decay afterwards. Sometimes, they're not even built to last longer than the event itself.

T

Tehilah27

The money wasted on some stadiums which are used for single events and then abandoned is appalling especially when compared to the good that money could have been used for in building/repairing infrastructures, investing in human capital, etc.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Whatever you say about those recycled metal for the Olympic medals, that is still a good hype for people to be aware not only of the sports in the Olympics but also with the wastage that we are producing every day. But I have to agree that we should focus on the sports and not on any other issue because the Olympics is for sports. Regarding the stadium that is built specially for the Olympics, I’m sure it will be used for other purposes after the games because it is an expensive structure that cannot be abandoned just like that.

G

GuestHu

Banned
Such an amazing innovative method in creating a medal not made from traditional expensive metallic elements and compound. Japan is indeed serious in finding mitigating method in creating something that does not affect our mother nature. Hopefully, people and other countries would be inspired to do it also.